MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Skilled

Question "Help!" My grinding sucks!

My grinding is kinda hit and miss, (I use a belt grinder) I used a blade filing jig to get both sides started the same, then starting from back to tip grind the edges. I'd really like to find some good grinding videos,, anybody have some suggestions? Also I want to do better with my "distal taper" Is this ground-in,, or forged-in? I'd like the blade to taper forward from just ahead of the guard, and the handle to taper from the same point to the end (pommel)... to date, I've been grinding the distal taper on the blade foreward only, and pretty much hit and miss. ---jon
Old 11-07-2004, 06:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Jon:
Im no pro, but for me control is EVERYTHING!!! I start by having the platen on my grinder about 6 inches up from my belt line. This way I can tuck my arms into my sides, and lean my body left and right, not my hands. Also at this height I can look down into the work. I forge, and "try" to forge in most of my shoulders and tapers, Id say 70% or so, mabe a little less, or mabe a little more. I also started using a push stick. its just a small piece of wood, with a 3/4 of it ground off leaving a lip the thickness of your piece so the piece rests on it and not your finger, Ive found this is very good once you are down the blade twords the tip, it helps prevent scorcehed fingers, and gives you support all the way to the tip. One thing i found that helps me is to look at your piece from ALL angles while grinding, not focusing on any one point, look down the blade, from both the tip then down the spine while keeping a close eye on the ricasso.

I have also found that if I have been away from the shop for a while, Ill start with a piece of scrap, just to get me "feel" back. Also started doing blades in batches, forge out several, then grind them, so on and so on. This seems to keep me focused on what Im doing and cuts down set up time.

Hope this helps!

What kind of grinder are you using??

God Bless
Mike

Old 11-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Master

Hi Jon..

(and hi Mike)....

Jon.

I find that when forging to shape, especialy forging the point, a distal taper begins to form quite naturaly (I dont cut or grind the point in but forge it to shape).
My last few final hammer blows are when I lay the blade flat on the anvil, start my hammer blows just forward of the ricasso, and work forward to the tip.....I alter my weight of my blows according to the taper.

I would forge the tang in the same way.

Before I begin to grind bevel transitions... I want to level and straighten everything ...so I hold the blade vertical on the platen (up and down) and straighten everything up and grind the scale away.
Because I have forged the tapers in, by the time I have ground the scale away my tapers are finished....
Then I identify where the plunge cuts should be and start to grind the bevels....very lightly...just grinding a 1/2 inch or so at a time on the bottom edge, and slowly moving up to the spine each pass. By the time I am about 1/8th of an inch short of the spine..the grinding should be completed..if I did it right!....

Wish I could show you rather than tell you.

Old 11-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Enthusiast

Jon,

I am not a pro, but here is what I use to help. I file the plunge cuts before I grind so I have some room at the ricasso. I can usually get a nice crisp line there using the "sandwich jig" to get them perfectly equal angles on both sides. You can also mark a centerline down the spine and future edge before you start as a guide. Then like previously stated look at it from all angles alot. I lay it on a flat piece of white marble from side to side, and I can see wich way it is leaning. between the lines and flat surface you can get a good idea of where you need to go. I only slack belt grind though, and do most of my shaping with files. I have a homemade 2" x 48" 1.5 hp grinder works good.

Good luck

Rick
Old 11-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Skilled

Thanks Guys!

Thanks Guys for the advise! I use the "sandwich" or filing jig for that purpose, I found that if I use a compas, I can mark the grind line on both sides of the blade, and they will be the same, (slide the metal point along the edge, and use the marker end to mark the blade) --Yes Kevin I wish you could show me instead of tell me!! Mike, send an e-mail to me,, I'll send a picture of one of the grinders I have made.. I can only assume, you guys grind against the platen, not the rubber wheel? I've seen all kinds of ways! --jonwelder@hamilton.net
Old 11-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Skilled

Exclamation The way I was taught to grind the edge:

One more thing guys, The way I was taught to grind the knife edge is against the platen and edge up. I guess I need to ask, these ways being discussed are they edge up or down? I'm not 'diss'en my teachers, they are both ABS M.S.'s this is just the way they do it! (any guess'es, they are married to each other) As I said, I'd like to buy a good grinding video too,, just need some ideas. ---jon
Old 11-07-2004, 05:44 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwelder
One more thing guys, The way I was taught to grind the knife edge is against the platen and edge up. . ---jon
Thats how I grind, but I know some that grind the opposite way....Whatever you feel comfortable with and works I guess.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Im an edge up guy

Jon My email address is mikegarner69@hotmail.com Id love to see your grinders!!
although I must warn you, Im prone to steal ideas!!

God Bless and Happy Hammering!

Mike

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife