MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Steel Addict

scales thickness

I made a folding knife from a kit. It looked to me that the scales on most folders are quite thin even if they are made of wood. My question is this:
The brass liners are quit thin and offer little support untill the scales are put on. When the knife is built there is a space between the scales for the blade to fold into. If you squeezed the knife when open is it the scales that keep this slot open? If the knife has thin wood scales is this a weak point of the knife??
Cheers Ron.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I consider that to be a weak point in the knife but knives have been made with thin brass liners and thin scales for many years. Such knives are not likely to be expensive knives though and therefore aren't expected to last forever. Personally, I prefer to build knives that can be used hard and still hold up well enough to be passed from generation to generation. I'm sure you'll build them that way too when you move beyond kit folders and start making your own. Until then, use the best kits you can find and don't worry too much about what they are made of, they can still be good knives...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for confirming my observation , yes I am working to move away from thr Kit thing and will try a fixed blade of my own making this summer. The kit was a starter as the idea of making a knife was new to me untill now. Up to now I have made a lot of fishing rods ( fly rods) but hey how many rods does a guy need? Well about the same number as knives from wher I sit right now. My wife seems to have a diferent total, but is supportive despite this.
Cheers Ron

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, hunting knife, knife, knives