MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 05-17-2001, 08:43 PM
Raymond Richard

Couple rebar knives

Just finished these today. I don't try to hide the fact that it is rebar. That is the reason I don't put handles on them. I've been making these rebar knifes for at least 6 years. There are different types of rebar, I use 60 grade which means it is at least .60% carbon. Same as 5160 but has all the other alloy under the sun. Any questions, I'll be glad to answer them. Ray

Old 05-17-2001, 08:47 PM
dogman

Cool texturing. They wouldn't look good with handles. What are the hardness and edge retention characteristics?
Old 05-17-2001, 09:19 PM
Raymond Richard

I haven't had these checked for hardness, but the ones I had tested in the past came out a 58 to 59 Rc. They hold an edge well and are easy to sharpen. I heat treated these two with some 52100 blades so they got some home made cryrogenicts, dry ice and kerosene. They could be a bit harder, times I've done the dry ice I usually gained acouple more points hardness.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:26 PM
cajun bones

That's the nicest rebar I've seen yet!

I don't care what you start with, if you end up with a functional knife, it's all good in my book. Do you offer a sheath with the knives?

Chris
Old 05-17-2001, 09:53 PM
Raymond Richard

Chris, I do, but it takes me a while to spin it out of tie wire. I do make leather sheaths for all my knives when I get around to it. Ray
Old 05-18-2001, 06:35 PM
Mike Sader

Ray, my oldest son wants to know what you are asking for one, mite make a sale here
Old 05-18-2001, 07:43 PM
BOB28

First off, nice knives! I like the bigger one.
Second before a debate starts about the hardenability of rebar, I am noticing a "temperline" on the bigger one.
Did I mention that I think those are nice knives?
Old 05-19-2001, 09:37 AM
srjknives

Very interesting!
Old 05-20-2001, 10:14 PM
NickWheeler

Those are very cool!

I've heard lots of debate on whether or not rebar will make a good blade (mixed in with the RR spike argument)...and I've gotta say, whether you think they will hold a great edge or not....those are really cool.

Just the novelty of getting to tell people what you made them from is worth the effort!

Thanks for sharing.

Nick
Old 05-22-2001, 11:26 AM
fria1

Re

great looking knives!
but what the hell is a rebar???
Old 05-22-2001, 02:53 PM
CKDadmin

Re: Re

Raymond ...

Best looking rebar I've seen. Really!

BTW - Composition on the photo is superb. All around, well done!

Alex
Old 05-24-2001, 10:41 PM
beknives

They look really COOL!!!! I guess since I have tried just about everything else I will have to try some of this...
Bruce
Old 05-25-2001, 11:34 AM
Dana Acker

Very Knice. Looks great. Good work, Bro.
Old 05-26-2001, 07:52 AM
Diamond G Knives

Ray:
Love the rebar knives! They look great! I had to go to thew local steel yard and get some 3/4 grade 60 myself! can you go thru the tempering steps? Do you quench in water or oil? what color / temperatur range do you draw to? Thanks!
Mike
P.S.

Awsome knives!!
Old 05-26-2001, 08:38 AM
Raymond Richard

Mike, I had just got an Oxy, Acd outfit, before I used my heat treating oven. I've had good luck bringing the rebar to 1450 to 1500 and quenching in oil, I use quenching oil but used to use drain oil with close to same results. Usually draw at 400 degrees for an hour or so. The knives I have pictured I did a triple draw on cause I did some 52100 at the same time, they are both edge quenched, you can see the temperline on the larger one. The rebar you use needs to be 60 grade, if you find a large piece of it there's marks on the bar every couple feet. There's some letters which represent the mill it came from. Then a single number which is the size, a 6 being 3/4 of an inch. A 7 being an 1/8 inch larger in diameter. Then there is the grade 40, 60 on it. Keep the 60. If there are any industrial, commerical, or bridge construction projects going around you there using 60 grade rebar. There's usually tons of scrap. Don't think they would mind if you did alittle scrounging. Tell them Ray sent you. Ray

Tags
blade, knife, knives