MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Strider
Tactical means a lot of things these days....but we think of it like this:

Made for War. There are of course lots of ways to define that....i have mine, others have theirs.
Not the "tactical," arguments!!!!

(Just funnin' around.)

I gotta get back to working on my Tactical Gladius.

jloose.com

Old 03-03-2005, 02:52 AM
Registered

I have been extensively involved with some of the issues discussed here. First, I do a good deal of work with Ichiro Nagata. His photos sell magazines-period. Gun and knife magazines are in the business of selling magazines. Ichiro often uses knives for props in his gun photos and guns as props for his knife photos. Its the way the market works. Most people involved with guns are into knives, and vice versa. Black guns and ''tactical" knives, muzzle loaders with forged bowies, engraved ivory handled handguns with handcrafted ivory handled custom knives, small concealable revolvers and a nice utility folder, big bore revolvers and skinning or hunting knives.....you get my point. Humans are tool users. Certain tools go together. Some tools look good. Most of you are in the business of buying or selling tools. You can either be successful or not.

When people want to get all P.C., I just change the argument from guns and knives to cars to help people relate. Ferraris on magazine covers sell magazines to car people, Yugo's don't. Oh gosh, no one "needs" an assault rifle, well no one "needs" a car that does more than 70mph......but most of us have one, and covet the ones that do over 150mph. We live in a world of people who are afraid of their own shadow. They want everyone to drive a hybid, be totally unarmed, no meat eating, no hunting or fishing, no recreation that involves anything more than a forest walk (anything with an engine is bad), etc......THEY ARE UNRELENTING IN MAKING YOU INTO THEM. There is basic common sense (Strider knife names), and just surrendering (Never take a picture with a knife and a gun together). Trust me, it doesn't matter. Its not assault rifles, its all guns, its not "tactical" knives, its all knives, its not high horsepower performance cars, its all gas engined cars. They say its just the bad ones (in their mind), they mean all of them.

The key is just good common sense. Some folks have it, some don't. The key is to exercise good pesonal ethics and buy ethically.

Last edited by nyeti; 03-03-2005 at 02:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:02 AM

I agree ... well said and great analogies. I can relate to each on a personal level.

Have a great day!

John

A Long Shot Beyond Panther City,
and Way Past "Hell's Half Acre",
Livin 'n & Love'n Squared Up On
The Bluffs Above Deer Creek.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
One of my pet peeves is with the knifemakers who go out of their way to photograph knives with guns, and more often than not, it's an assault weapon...

You guys with your knife and gun photos are "shooting yourselves in the foot!"

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
I disagree. Most of my knives are made for the concealed carry/law enforcement market. So, I think it's' appropriate for me to photograph my knives with a handgun. I don't take pictures of the hunters/skinners I make with firearms though. I think it's about matching the props to the purpose of the knife.

just my 2 cents
Old 03-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
....If we all took more time to promote knives as the oldest and most important tool, and stayed the heck away from (publicly) promoting them as killing tools, we all might be experiencing far less restrictions right now....
Well this was certainly a worthwhile discussion - even if it did get a little bit derailed. The above quote concisely summarizes my own opinion, for what it's worth.

Speaking of questionable applications of the term "tactical" - is this another "inside joke" that I am simply not getting?

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/x-t...ream_maker.htm

Roger
Old 03-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to TJ Smith
Do you hunt with a KNIFE. I don't think so. Most people use a hunting knife as a tool around camp. or to process their game.I like to see a knife picture with a hunting style gun. Not with assult weapons.
Personally I don't name my knifes I use a #. This is my #75 skinner. Sounds kind of silly to say this is my knife "Bob" he's a skinner.
But lets face it guns and knifes go together we just need to be careful how we present them.
$.02
TJ

Old 03-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Registered

One of my uncles' who was over in 'Nam came back home and would only hunt with a knife. That was all he would take with him. My guess he had enough killing, although he always seemed to come back with venison.

Somewhere back at the beginning of this meandering thread someone said something about people jumping at the sight of a knife. On another forum Mick started a thread that most here would not like, but it goes to the heart of this conversation. We use what we have at hand in the time of need. Mick said it in the post that knives have a primal feeling to them; even the most refined art knife can be used to end life. Mick said that because it is primal it means that it goes to the very core of our beings, the side we don't talk about in polite society, the side that if your house was broken in to and the scumbag was attacking your daughter, would respond by try to remove said scumbags' spine through his a$$. Knives tie into the primal because they were one of our first tools. They feed fear into those that deserve it no matter the name or type. That to can be debated because if I were to hold up one the very artistic knives built around these parts someone might not get the hint till he hit the hilt(wow what mouth full that was), but if you hold up a Strider(I say Strider because I only own Striders.... Please insert your favorite maker) and somehow the whole world seems about to end. I don't think you can mix the two worlds up.... although Mick and Duane are trying with some of their recent creations(FWP Sword, Gladius, and Spear) This is just my .02. I will also add that Mick and Duane were around long before this new "EXTREME TACTICAL" sensationalism came into being. Tactical weapons have been around for along time because the military has been around a long time. That is where things lie right now you see it in every corner from clothing to cars. Our war like societies are trying to make it ok to have war items without the war..... I mean for Gods' sake who really needs a HumVee to go to the grocery store???

Again just my .02.

Brandon McKinley
Strider Knife Owner

www.fotoasylum.com
Old 03-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Skilled

I realy don't like the term "Tactical". The most tactical thing that I do, (and most others) is open a box. If you want to put on your BDU's and night vision to make the experience complete, go ahead. As for using names that sound evil, I think your just asking for trouble if the knife ever has to get used for defense. I just happen to like heavy duty folders, recurve blades, and carbon fiber. Thats why I making them now. Guns and knives go together, thats just the way it is. Saying that a gun will make a knive look "evil" is going aginst your own arguement. They are both tools, nothing more. Ignoring, or not talking about either will not help people understand that. Educating the ignorant is key.

Jeremy

Old 03-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Registered

i've seen a few complaints about marketing "tactical" knives to civilians, or non-military or -LEO folks.

many people (myself included) use knives on a daily basis. use them often and use them hard. sure, many don't use a knife for anything harder or more "warlike" than opening the occasional box or letter, but some do. there are many reputable "tactical" makers that sell a large percentage to the civilian market.

why? because these knives are built to be used in the worst possible conditions, and not fail. for a person that uses a knife in construction, maintenence, contracting, etc., these knives are a daily user and abuser, that they can rely on day in and day out.

look at another tried and true design, the Marine KaBar. for years, and to this day, it is trusted by outdoorsmen, because it is known to be able to stand almost any abuse that might be found in a rough camp, or foresting. what is so different about the KaBar and today's newer, honestly better designed "tactical" knives?

and a picture of a nice knife with a nice firearm just go together like peanut butter and jelly

chris
Old 03-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
I have snapped the tip off a few KaBar's.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMcKinley
I don't think you can mix the two worlds up.... although Mick and Duane are trying with some of their recent creations(FWP Sword, Gladius, and Spear)
Aw, man... someone already made a tactical gladius?

Oh, well, back to the composite PW drawing board.

jloose.com

Old 03-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMcKinley
I don't think you can mix the two worlds up....
Sure you can...

Look at Kentucky Fried Chickens very own Jerry Hossom

His work is both artistic, beautiful and dangerous
Old 03-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I'm not certain what all the fuss is about, semantics I guess. Advertising is usually contextual so picturing a combat knife with a combat gun is a fairly common device. You'd hardly picture a toothbrush sitting on the back of a toilet. Hunting knives are often photographed on pelts or with other artifacts of the hunt.

If there's doubt that there are people who actually use "tactical" knives, you can put that thought out of your mind. They are used, and often, though perhaps not so much for purposes of killing, but that happens too on battlegrounds at home and abroad. Would it rest better if they were called "Combat" knives, or "police" knives or "self-defense" knives? I doubt it. There would still be people who are offended by the thought of using a knife for anything more violent than slicing tomatoes.

Sure there's a lot of hype associated with tactical knives, but what the hell? There's a good bit of hype implicit in a jeweled dagger or an ivory and damascus folder. How many of those get used in real life? If this is just an extension of anti-gun, anti-weapon of any kind mentality, well that's an issue for individuals and politicians to decide for themselves. It has nothing to do with the craftsmanship involved.

I make tactical knives because they are a unique challenge. The combination of utility (potential or kenetic) with the human interface under difficult conditions and in circumstances where knives are used for a lot of things besides cutting is a difficult achievement IMO. It is a whole lot easier to drill a hole and imbed a ruby in a bolster than it is to make an edge that will withstand impacts with mild steel or the occassional rock. It is at least as difficult to make a handle that will remain secure under any any all conditions, with or without gloves, rain or shine or snow or sleet, jungle or mountain or desert than it is to make something for the coffee table that may or may not be aesthetically pleasing. How challenging is is to field dress and skin a deer?

I think, gentlemen, this is about respect for the craftmanship, and unless you understand the challenges each type of knife demands it's difficult to assess the standards of excellence. I am fairly confident that the best of those who make "tactical" knives could, if they chose, make art knives that would rival many seen on this forum. Similarly, I am sure that those who make art knives as their standard fare could make a passable tactical knife if they undertook to study the demands placed on such knives. We are all craftmen, and what each of us defines as the craft is a matter of personal interest and focus. I doubt any of us worry too much about those who make knives for purposes that don't interest us, though there do seem to be some who worry excessively about the purpose, role and function of a tactical knife without bothering to understand those matters or the world in which they apply.

Probably one of my proudest accomplishments is to sharpen an $18 Ontario machete so that pretty much anyone could use it to take down a 3" tree in a single cut. Tree huggers will scream that's offensive on the face of it. Special Forces operators in jungle environmentswill usually appreciate it, especially since the same edge will hold up for months at a time and if needed they are effective weapons. Surveyors love them for their more mundane use in clearing property lines. Ranchers in Texas like them for clearing away mesquite along trails. I like it for clearing the sapplings and blackberry vines that grow along my driveway. Are they tactical? They are if I say so, but the real point is that machetes are tools used by a lot of people who do everything from using them as weapons to pruning trees and shrubs. Not your cup of tea? That's fine, but don't reject out of hand what you may not understand. Lots of people live in other states and countries and don't see the world the same as you, your neighbors or your customers may view it. Those people who do need, want and use machetes probably don't much understand the need for a jeweled anything. They need a tool. View them as such and not so much by the label they may carry.

Kentucky Fried Chicken? MRE's for civilians...

New Email Address: jerry@hossom.com
Old 03-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Living Legend

Wow, 15months after posting this thread, its still got a little bit of steam...

Thank you to everyone for their replies. I myself have back-and-forthed over the whole "tactical" idea and guess what ... I have a "Tactical Knives" category on my website. And yes, I can say I make tactical knives. I am still a little "sensitive" (is that the word ?) about how I name my knives, but I don't want to go as far as to de-personalise the knife by identifying it only with a number.

To each their own, I guess. For what its worth, I am very encouraged by the fact that beyond the names, and classifications and personal definitions, CRAFTSMANSHIP still comes up as a consistent theme amongst knifemakers.

I'm glad we had this little talk... We need to do this from time to time. Cheers. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, switchblade