MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 07-09-2002, 05:21 PM

Smile

Coop,
I can see right now that we are going to have problems. Rick
Old 07-10-2002, 06:59 AM

Posted for Rick Cordell

Here's a composite of his now-famous Bowie! Let him fill in more details....

Old 07-10-2002, 07:01 AM

...and one of the Andersen knife

Posted for Rick Cordell.

Old 07-10-2002, 08:10 AM

To Coop, Mike, and Joss.
Coop thanks for the MAJOR assistance in posting the pictures, there is no way I could have done this by myself. Mike & Joss here it is, along with the Andersen knife that I can't find any information on. I also asked Coop to post a picture I was sent, that came out of a 1985 Levines book. While I am bothering you guys, I will bring up another question, and tell a long story. During the mid 60s I had a fellow from Alaska purchase a rifle from me, while we were talking he asked me if I would like to see a one of a kind knife and I said sure. He proceeded to take a massive (about the size of a Case folding hunter but with straight handles) automatic out of his pocket. This was the most beautiful knife I had ever seen and I promptly asked him if he would sell it or trade it to me for one of the guns on the table. I was informed that a close friend of his was a custom maker in Alaska, and that he wouldn't part with it for anything. This knife had walrus ivory handles, with the blade release made flush with the sides, the button was bright blued steel, which was inside a gold circle. The front bolsters were silver and engraved with oakleaf and acorns. The backspring was file worked, and was also the release for the blade. When you opened the knife you could hear it all over the gun show ( I may be exagerating just a bit, but it did sound like an L.C. Smith closing). I told him that he should have it in a safety deposit box, and he said he intended to use it, and enjoy it and let the person who got hold of it after he died worry about the condition. WELL now for my question. I have always wanted to have one made, and I see by some of the other forums that they are being made, but are they legal ? And last Coop! are all those knives in your picture album yours! If so could I borrow a few dollars from you??? (those DSC blades sure are beautiful) Take care and God bless. Rick P.S. I run a small farm, and the last thing I need to get involved in is custom knives, but I think you guys have started something smoldering. FIRE!! R
Old 07-10-2002, 10:20 AM
Skilled

The laws on automatic(switchblade) knives, is not real clear, at least to me. Arizona has no laws againt them, but federal law says that it is an offense to ship them across state lines, and on, and on. Many are made in Oregon, and Florida, which, I understand, have similar laws as Arizona.
Personally, I just stay away from them, as there are no misdomeanors under federal law, and no parole either.
Perhaps someone else more familiar with the subject, can steer you in the right direction.
On the Anderson knife, the position of the signature leads me to believe that "Anderson" was the Scrimshander only, not the maker of the knife. I could only find information on a Terry Anderson, who was/is a Scrimshander. It is very possible I am not right in that belief.
Sorry I can't be of more help.:confused:

Old 07-10-2002, 11:18 AM

Hi Mike,
I agree wiyh you on the automatics, they were illegal in most states during the 60's. I had thought that by now our government would have realized that most people can cut you almost as quick with a CaseXX as they can with an automatic. Also just for fun, ask the next police officer you meet how many butcher knives have been used in domestic violence, and when was the last time he had a pocket knife used in the same situation. Oh well maybe in the next life. As far as the Andersen is concerned I would agree with you except there is a tag on the back of the sheath that says W.D.A. D2 steel, Ivory micarta, handmade elkskin sheath, dated with scrimshaw $400.00 W.D.A. But your theory could be correct, there could be another maker with those initials, and it was scrimshawed by Andersen. Again I wanted to thank you for making me so welcome on this forum, and taking the time to help me regarding the above. Take care and God bless. Rick
Old 07-10-2002, 11:26 AM
Skilled

It was a pleasure, anytime.
I forgot to mention above, that's a nice Bowie. Thanks for going to the trouble of showing it to us.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:13 PM
Skilled

Switchblade laws except for the Federal one vary from state to state. In some cases from county to county.
http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/links.htm
here's a starting point, but your milage may vary

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 07-12-2002, 03:10 PM

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for the reply, I went to the link you listed, and I have decided I will just start collecting cast iron frying pans, they are not illegal and twice as dangerous. Laying all jokes aside these truly are bad laws, they are vague and easily misunderstood. The people we elect should be protecting us from this type of entrapment. Some of these laws were passed during the 50's!!! good grief people are carrying machine guns, the don't want switchblades. Oh well Cogito Ergo Sum. But after reading those laws I now understand your subnote because, Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum. Thanks again for the reply I have met the nicest people on this forum. Take care and God bless. Rick aka r.cordell
Old 07-12-2002, 05:08 PM
Skilled

Yes, my sub-signiture line is something to "think" about

I like the idea of collecting frying pans. It conforms to my "El Kabong" theory of cookware. Really good cookware, the kind that you hand-down, has to meet one criteria. If you clock someone over the head with it, it still must be able to be put on a stove and used to fry something up. If it works, it passes. If it don't you have a "crepe" pan.

back on topic. ...
In New York, switchblades are illegal, but with some exceptions, like for Law Enforcement, Military, or the handicapped, or if you have a legal hunting or fishing ####### and are in the act of hunting or fishing. This does not apply to NYC where no switchblades are legal at all, for anyone.

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 07-12-2002, 07:30 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Lightbulb

Folks, I received the following messages this evening from Fred Carter regarding the "Henry" knife. Fred has forgotten more about knives than most of us will ever know, and I trust his observations. Here we go, verbatim:

1)
Don- I was looking at the CKD and found what appears to be a Henry bowie. I don't have any addresses other than yours so I thought you may want to let the guy who owns it know what I think. First this knife is not a D.E.Henry bowie, I have examined a number of Henry's and feel this is either a counterfeit or a different Henry from D.E.

Henry would never make such a crude knife for starters, even his early work was very clean and crisp.

Henry to my knowledge never hollow ground any of his knives, this one is.

Henry stamped his name and most often a number or bear symbol this knife has had the name pantographed on to it.

My guess that this knife may have come from England or Germany and is factory made but I would not guess when. Most of the English knives, old or new, are better made than this one.

Thought this may shed some light on what someone thinks is a valuable knife.

Fred

2)
Don - forgot to mention that Henry always had a hand sanded finish, this knife was buffed if you can call it that. Fred

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 07-12-2002, 07:51 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Henry Pic

Fred also passed along this picture of what a D.E.Henry knife should look like.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 07-12-2002, 09:39 PM

Hi Don & Fred,
First let me bow to your expertise, I am a gun collector not a knife collector. I placed this knife on the internet to obtain the information you are now providing. Let me point out several items. I purchased this knife and 2 others along with a large gun collection in 1985. The man that owned it was a silver collector/ dealer and he stated that when he had purchased the knife it had been in poor shape and he had buffed it. This statement was in response to my question of why the sheath had so much wear. Your picture of the HENRY knife is the 6th one that has been sent to me and all have had a flat blade, and none of them have had work on the top of the blade as this one does. If what you say is correct (and I am leaning heavily towards your opinion) I am naturally dissapointed, however I have met some of the nicest people on this and other knife related forums, and truly appreciate your input and your time. Thanks again, take care, and God bless. Rick aka r.cordell P.S. Would you have any information regarding the Andersen knife. Rick
Old 07-12-2002, 11:02 PM
Skilled

I have an old Blades 'n' Stuff catalog from the early 1980's, from Bob Engnath. On page 12, bottom of the page is model #29, the "California Eagle". It is identical to the Henry Bowie shown here.
The Engnath blade is a kit knife.
I thought the Bowie looked familiar, but not because of Henry.
This is really unfortunate.

Old 07-12-2002, 11:42 PM
Skilled

There is a drawing of the blade here.
http://www.engnath.com/public/bowidraw.htm
The one on the internet does not show filework, the catalog I have does, almost identical.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, hunting knife, knife, knives, switchblade