MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 07-06-2002, 01:14 PM

Thanks to all who have responded so far. CPKnives my name is Rick but thank you for the warm welcome, you are correct this is a friendly and helpful forum. dsvirsky thanks for the input concerning the Jones brothers I am trying to locate them now. Keith yes it is a massive bowie with a 9 1/2 inch blade that is over 1/4 inch thick (.297 at the front of the guard) and 1 7/8th wide. It has a 4 7/16ths buffalo horn handle with a silver? inlay that is approximatly 1 1/2 x 1/4 inches long. The guard is a white metal 1/4 inch thick. The handle has brass worked liners on each side of the handle, and the top of the blade has work as well. This along with the leather and metal sheath make it a very attractive knife, and I could see where it could be desirable. Les. I agree with most of your theory, and thank you for your input. Yes I know who Les Robertson is! he is a knowlegable moderator on a wonderful forum that doesn't mind helping the uninformed find out information concerning knives, or knife related subjects. r.cordell. Les I don't know where the Jerry came from my name is Rick. Take care and God bless. r.cordell
Old 07-06-2002, 01:49 PM

Hi Mike, and Les.
I just posted a thank you and returned to find both of you had posted anew. You are both correct I am trying to find out the value of this knife, but, more importantly is the information I can put away with it. So any additional information or opinions regarding Henry would still be greatly appreciated, including any books or reference items. Also to add an opinion on this knife (mine). Years ago I purchased many items on the GOTCHA factor. When I picked this knife up and felt the heft and saw the quality (keep in mind I am an advanced gun collector not a knife collector) I had to purchase it, the GOTCHA factor was there. Les on your end of the business, a clinical look, and evaluation is important, but I will assure you that as long as the GOTCHA factor is out there, people will be willing to pay big bucks for quality items, and if this item just happens to have documentation and a history of appreciation, it can't loose. I believe this is one of those. On the other hand I also know why they make chacolate and vanilla. Take care and God bless. Rick aka r.cordell
Old 07-06-2002, 02:30 PM
Skilled

Rick, CPKnives was jumping in to welcome Fisk, above his post.
Fisk would be "Jerry"Fisk. The confusion spread from there. Sorry.
Rick, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the knife and sheath? I would love to see it.

Old 07-06-2002, 04:10 PM

Hi Mike,
I do not have a camera, and the scanner is on the fritz, but I will be getting a new one the end of the week and will post a picture then (I may need a little help from you). CPKnives sorry about the mix up I am new to the forum and I had a senior moment. Mike can you think of another avenue that I might try in researching the W.D. Andersen knife ? Thanks in advance and God bless. Rick aka r.cordell
Old 07-06-2002, 04:30 PM
Skilled

Rick, you might try posting the Anderson knife info on the Bernard Levine, knife identification forum, at Bladeforums. Many have had good results there.
You will probably have to register, but it is free.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=691

Old 07-08-2002, 04:32 PM
Steel Addict

I'd love to see a pic of this DE Henry knife!

JD

Old 07-08-2002, 05:28 PM

Hi Joss,
I am having a new scanner installed this thursday or friday. If Mike can walk me through posting a picture it will be on here by saturday at the latest. Are you familiar with Henry knives? if so what can you tell me about him? I can find nothing on the internet concerning this knifemaker. Take care and God bless. Rick
Old 07-08-2002, 05:52 PM
Steel Addict

I don't know much about them, except that theyre highly regarded. There are a couple bowies in one of the Point of Interest books, and they're beautiful. I also remember reading that he was a pretty grouchy character, with a bad tendancy to be verbally abusive, but this is pure hearsay.

JD

Old 07-08-2002, 05:57 PM
Skilled

Rick, I am the last person you want to ask for picture posting help. However, there is a tutorial here, link follows.
About Henry, there were several articles written about him, both by Blade magazine, and Knives Illustrated, I'm sure they would have backorders.
http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread....&threadid=6505

http://www.knivesillustrated.com/

Sorry, I can't find a url for Blade magazine.

Old 07-08-2002, 06:35 PM

Rick,

If it's all too complicated (it is ), I'll gladly post your pics for you. Send me an email with the pics as an attachment, and I'll post 'em.

I think we're ALL curious at this point!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-08-2002, 08:25 PM
Skilled

Thanks Jim. I was going to tell him someone from here would help him in my last post, and promptly forgot. :confused:

Old 07-08-2002, 10:12 PM

Hi Rick,

Actually, my comment of who is the Les Robinson guy was directed at Jerry Fisk.

I understand about the Gotcha factor. I think it affects all of us from time to time.

While I am a collector at heart. I also find myself representing the side of knife collecting that most collectors tend to think about the least before they buy the knife...that would be the after market.

As long as your happy with the knife that is what really matters. Just don't be insulted if down the road someone does not have the same level of "gotcha" factor.

These days, that "factor" seems to changing at a very rapid pace.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 07-08-2002, 11:26 PM

Hi Les,
You are correct, there was a time when people bought what they liked, thought they liked, or just wanted. Today we tend to look at an item and ask what is the appreciation factor on this item? will I be able to make a profit? and is there a market for this item should I decide to sell it in the future? This of course is the best way to purchase any item, if you can find one you like that has all of the above. Another point you are correct on is being insulted when you find you have paid more than it's worth. Years ago I had many people come to me for appraisals on guns, when I told them what they were valued at, I heard all of the excuses, with the main one being THE BOOK SAYS. I tried to explain to them that the book doesn't have any money, and that any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Thanks for the response and sorry about my mix up on your reply to Jerry. Hi Coop, I will probably be taking you up on you kind offer as I am relatively new to computers (2 years) and as far as I am concerned it is all done with smoke and mirrors. This is one of the reasons I am having to wait until the end of the week to get the pictures. The fellow who helps me on the computer "stuff" is on vacation and won't be back until then. The last time I pulled this desk out, I unpluged several things and was without a computer for days. I will let you know the minute we get it in. Thanks again for the kind offer. Hi Mike, I posted the Andersen knife on Levines forum as you suggested and so far 16 people have looked at the post but I have had no response. Thanks for the information on Blade magazine and Knives illustrated I will check them out in the morning. Take care and God bless. Rick
Old 07-09-2002, 04:46 PM

Hi All,
The HENRY pictures should be on the way to Coop by this evening. One of my neighbors stopped by and through some sort of magic got my scanner working (the real problem with the scanner will never be told) the pictures are in 2 parts, as the knife is longer than the scanner, I have also been sent some pictures of other HENRY knives that I will forward to Coop as well. Again if you have any information on D.E. HENRY or W.D. Andersen I would certainly appreciate hearing from you. Take care and God bless. Rick
Old 07-09-2002, 04:55 PM

Scanners require two wires. One that feeds it power, and one to link to the computer. They BOTH have to be plugged in!!! :confused:

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, hunting knife, knife, knives, switchblade