MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Skilled

Wow, if he is capable of that at age 12, look out, world. The next Bill Gates maybe?

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 11-19-2014, 05:58 AM

Dunno, he also likes being deep in the woods with Pops (me) learning close up about nature. Really tripped when we came across a pair of box turtles securing the future of their species....have to admit it was very entertaining. We spent a night out in the woods, light survival style, and now he thinks he can "live in the woods" all by himself......long way to go there.
I do worry about his social interaction with other kids, most of them have "shallow interests" (his words).
His dad said he was in the process of redesigning his RC helicopter at the present.

If he makes it to the Gates level, I hope I'm still around to see it and cognizant enough to realize it.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Skilled

I think your grandson is on the right track, if he realizes the other kids have shallow interests. It would be worse if if he idolized and emulated those kids and became as shallow as they are. Spending time in the woods is time well spent, and so is time with pops. Sounds like a well-rounded character to me. Kids these days are very different from our time - but that's what our parents said about us, too. It's supposed to be like that. So long as they don't lose touch with their past and heritage. My boys spend lots of time with their grand parents, and learn all sorts of things about where they came from and how they got to where they are. If I could only understand that fascination with the texting palm pilot...

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
Old 11-21-2014, 05:46 AM

I think the palm pilots are a sign of the times.....social interaction with out face to face.
A hello from across the street instead of a handshake and a cup of joe. Easier to start up a conversation but also easier to walk away from same.
I personally don't like it and wish I didn't feel the need for even a cell phone. But, here we are.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Skilled

Absolutely right. I remember a time when you would cross the street if someone approached you speaking to themselves and gesturing wildly - today it just means they're on a phone call with their bluetooth... even that is now "old fashioned". Nowadays I find myself more often than not shouting "Heads Up!" at some kid walking and texting at the same time. I'm surprised there aren't more collisions between people. - Maybe that's how they meet each other these days?
I don't do the whole social media thing, but I know I am missing out on some contacts which in the case of work, could be beneficial. I may not have a choice. On the other hand I shouldn't complain when I consider that my dad learned to use a computer at age 80! As they say, you can only swim upstream for so long.

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
Old 11-22-2014, 05:41 AM

I remember saying once that I'd never have a computer, but career dictated otherwise ...... now fighting the pressure to start a facebook page. Lot of fellow knifemakers have 2x and 3x'd sales running a "business" site on there. So may have to regardless of what I like/want just to keep from fighting the current as you say.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
1095, awesome, bone, chris, christmas, damascus, design, fire, forged, guard, gun, hand, home, knife, lights, make, pins, pistol, project, rare, scales, shop, silver, tools, walnut