MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast

oh david,
this is a great subject...i love it!
i will tell you i have the blue prints of the knife and i know for certain the handle is not epoxied to the tang or even soldered.the tang is the lile size too.
the epoxy that is in the handle(looking into the hollow handle)is to cover up how jimmy did it.
i have owned two of the real ones and have used them hard and i can say "they stood up".

i know there are those who will use it for" this and that"(cutting cement-brick-stone steel) stupid stuff like that,BUT i believe if you use it for what it was made for it will "still be standing".

now having said that,i am thinking about a full tang one also.
i have also been working with a 2nd generation machinist (old man) on how to improve it

like i said"i'm no master and i too am learning as i go".

as far as this persons or that persons knives are great,like they say"if it can not be broken,it can not be made"...
britt
Old 07-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Skilled

Thanks for all the words of learning and doing Britt. I called, left a message and will call again. Jimmy was a dear friend of mine. DH
Old 07-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast

DavidL,
i really look forward to talking to you.it will be an honor to speak to you.
britt
Old 07-08-2009, 02:56 AM
Steel Addict

Have you even asked Marilyn Lile or Jack Lucarelli for permission to copy Jimmy's knife?

Have you considered giving part of your profits to Ms. Lile or a charity of her choosing?

Old 07-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Mike,
those are good questions.i believe i have already answered you on those in the e-mails you sent me privately.like i said in our e-mails" i know you disagree with me but let us disagree in peace".
but here you are in a public forum asking me those same questions,which makes me now question your motives.

so here we go...
no. i have not spoken to Mrs.Lile.Yes.I have e-mailed jack twice.but have not heard back from him.maybe he has not read them yet.
as far as charity,i doubt i will become rich or even close to it from making these knives.

this was on jimmy lile's own web site about the rambo knife"the most famous,copied and reproduced knife in the world".this implies to me that he did not have a problem with people making there own rambo knife.as we all know there were people doing it while he was still alive (parker-edwards-uc.robert parish type knives - bob white too).it is now in the public domain.

we are all inspired and influenced buy people and there work, and i personally do not believe it is wrong to move in that direction.i'm 36 yrs old and i have loved lile and his knives since i was 12.i love these knives!

two of jimmy lile's own knife makers have contacted me and they do not have a problem with me doing this.i think that says a lot.one has even been helping me.
i am a no "namer".just someone who really enjoys these knives but can not afford a house payment to buy one or the repos.and i know i'm not alone in this.there are many people who would love to have one of these.we just can not afford them.so why not make a version of them that people can afford and enjoy and use?

i am even thinking about selling these knives without the sheath just to keep the cost down.i would not do that if i was trying to "cash in"as you put it.

you posted some pictures on this forum the other day of a knife show.
in those photos are pictures of some of your knives.one of them looks very very close to gil design.do you give him money from the sell of those knives?
ray matton(he makes first blood knives) even posted his info on your own web site and you left it up for the world to see.
yet you keep "e-mailing" me about what i am doing.

so this is what i think mike.
if you are not giving money to gil for making a knife that looks very close to his,and you are leaving up ray's post then you are holding me to a double standard.
britt
Old 07-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Skilled

Gil Hibben was the first to make a "Rambo" knife and even had them in movies of his own, Come on, it is a knife, how many Loveless knives have been copied? I think Marilyn would be surprised by the question.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 AM

I only hope that someone..., someday..., finds one of my designs so inspiring that they allow it to influence their own creations. Then, when I'm gone... who cares? Let them be copied until doomsday.

That's when I'll know that I've 'arrived'.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Skilled

Just out of curiousity, I believe you mentioned that you were NOT putting any Lile/Rambo markings on these knives? (As well you shouldn't)

BUT

Are you putting ANY markings on these knives so that someone can't later stamp an "empty" knife with a counterfeit Lile stamp or something similiar?

I mean, I suppose this partially depends on how truly close to the original design you are getting, but this might be something to consider?

I.E. put some kind of identifying mark so that these can't later be passed off as the real thing by a dishonest party.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Steel Addict

Britt, no, I don't beleive I did ask those questions in our previous discussion.

Yes, I do have a problem with unauthorized knock-offs. Being influenced or inspired by someones work is one thing. Making exact copies, as your advertising clearly indicates, is another.

For the record, yes I have made copies of Gil's designs with his permission, and yes, I pay Gil back for everything he has done for me every chance I get.

Anyway, I will butt out and leave you to it. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL
Gil Hibben was the first to make a "Rambo" knife and even had them in movies of his own, Come on, it is a knife, how many Loveless knives have been copied? I think Marilyn would be surprised by the question.
No, Jimmy Lile made the first "Rambo" knife. Gil had movies of his own?

Old 07-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Skilled

I am certainly aware that Jimmy made the first Rambo knives, I was there when Stallone came. But after a couple (?) of movies Gill Hibben made knives to be used and I am certain they were in moviee too.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Steel Addict

Dave, I guess I just completely misunderstood you. You can see why, I hope.

I know Gil made the later "Rambo" knives.

I'm definightly no expert here, not my style of knife But I did start making knives when "Rambo" knives where new and hot.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Ok, Lile made the knives for rambo 1 (First Blood) and Rambo 2 . Gil Hibben made the knives for the 3rd and 4th movies.
This may be a tender spot for some. But, I see nothing wrong with Britt making these knives. Is there a maker out there that hasn't made a copy of a Loveless drop point. From my point of view Britt can make a knife that may actually be better than the original Lile,but it still won't be a Lile.
I have talked with Britt on the phone. he has no malice at all in this undertaking. I personally think Jimmy would have been honored. I know I would be if someone spent as much time and money to copy one of my creations
Britt, run with it.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks so much Andy!!!
i remember our talk well.
hope you are well.
britt
Old 07-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Britt,
One last thing while I'm on my soap box.
MARK YOUR BLADES. I made a copy of an original sog bowie for a customer. he wanted the knife steril (no markings). 3 weeks later its on E-bay as a viet-nam fighting knife.
I was really PO'd.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives