MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:34 AM

Well, I was hoping for ten and we have that, but that means no one can drop!

Perhaps we'll get a few more..., lots of time.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 05-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Master

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Garrett
Well, I was hoping for ten and we have that, but that means no one can drop!

Perhaps we'll get a few more..., lots of time.

Boy talk about a no preasue atmosphere! if I can't drop out, I better get that forge built, I'm planning my first forged knife for this......

Have you tried posting this on the other boards?
maybe over at DFoggs Bladesmiths forum, or you might get some of the makers from the outdoor survival area at knifeforums.com. There's primal fires too....

I can give you a list of forums where this could be posted, it just depends on how many people you realy want......

Gary

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:29 PM

The more the merrier! I've tried getting into the other forums, but for a variety of reasons (mostly because the filters on my work computers see most of the other knife forums as restricted sites) I have just decided to make this my on-line home. I would hate to not have access at work if I had a burning question.

However Gary, if you want to post a link in the places you think it belongs, cool! I'm sure most of those guys and gals have accounts here that they visit once in a blue moon. Go for it!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 05-21-2006, 12:20 AM
Skilled

Count me in!

Count me in. I just have to decide what steel. I already have a design in mind for the blade. Going to have to take some time and finger out the handle etc. Kydex is the only way to go. I think that I will also go with a tek lock for the sheath. Got plenty of time. I just finished up the newbie kith and am very happy with how it turned out. Only problem being I don't want to give it up! Oh well. that is half the fun. Dan aka IronMonkey

http://www.usualsuspect.net/commerce/aff.php?aff=2405
A strong man disciplines his desires, restrains his reactions and keeps his commitments.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:59 AM

Welcome aboard Dan! You're on the list. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

www.kansasknives.org

Old 05-21-2006, 12:09 PM

I was in the shop for about 5 hours yesterday. I finished up a handle on one that's been on the bench for a a while, and profiled 6 more that I have orders for (Man, do my hands hurt). One of those was a kiridashi--one of the simplest knives a guy can make. I thought I'd go a step further with this one and grind is the primary bevels. I ruined it! I don't know how, but I totally jacked it up!

I have discovered that a kiridashi is tougher than it looks! Up on close examination, I found that the spine was a tad thinner than the belly. This made the grind lines uneven. One was even radiused! Oh well, we live and learn.

I have a 1/4" x 2" x 12" chunck of ATS-34 that I'll be grinding my KITH knife from. I've decided on the Dreadnaught with my new saw design. I'm pinning a lot of hopes to this design. I want it to be my best yet!

www.kansasknives.org

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 05-21-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast

Andy,

I must have missed something. Did you mention any procedure and the quantity? If you don't mind, would you count us in as well.

Oh, by the way, that was an awesome tatoo! My daughter has been bugging me to get one with her. I guess too many years of college would make one silly enough to ask that.

Norman
Old 05-21-2006, 05:02 PM

Procedure? I'm not quite sure what you mean, but in the event you are unfamiliar with a KITH (Knife In The Hat), it is simply a friendly exchange. All of the knifemakers who sign up prepare a blade (from scratch) in accordance with the guidelines set forth. I assume you have read those guidlines in the very first post which introduced the KITH. Then, the sponser of the KITH (me) will draw names from a hat on the posted date and submit the list in this forum. Each maker sends his/her entry to the maker whose name appears below their own on the list. The guy on the bottom sends his to the first name on the list. No money changes hands since the expense is about the same for everyone.

As blades are completed, participants are encouraged to show photos of their work before shipping it out. An explaination of how you arrived at that particular design and material choice is also encouraged as it will illuminate certain elements and answer many questions we all may have. The whole process is a learning experience and a way to make friends.

Some KITHs will make rules that dictate the types of steel or handle material, etc. that can be used. No such rules here. This one is about design and interpretation. Be sure to do your very best work since you are putting your knife into the hands of a knifemaker!

I'll add your name to the list. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Welcome aboard! This is a heck of 'first KITH' for anyone!

www.kansasknives.org

Old 05-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

Gee, it sounds like a fun. I will definitely join in. Thank you Andy!
Old 05-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Master

Andrew, I know what you mean about hands hurting, at christmas I did 8 knives in a run together, in one night, Ouch! I don't do more than 2 in a day now.

I need to find a piece of 1/4" x 3" x ~18" stock for mine...

I'll post about this in a couple other places......

Gary

Gary Blessing,
Old 05-21-2006, 07:59 PM

That's a big knife Gary!

www.kansasknives.org

Old 05-22-2006, 04:30 AM
Master

Well..... yeah. I decided to run with your kill,butcher, skin bear, build shelter, survive, scenario. Got a couple ideas to make it a nice fighter too.

It's only 13.5" x 2-3/4" ~ish~ at the widest. I might bring the blade lenthe out a few inches though. Not sure yet.

I only have one way of cutting that thick of steel, an oxy/acyt. torch, which will take a slightly wide cut, and leave a jaged enough edge that I will need more profiling room.
Otherwise I figure I would be useing about 10 hack saw blades on the steel alone, not to mention the bolsters.

BTW;
"Happiness is a good woman, two wheels, and a tank full of gas."

Ain't That The Truth!, although I've only got two out of the three right now...

Gary

Gary Blessing,
Old 05-22-2006, 06:22 AM

Forget the OA torch! I went to Harbor Frieght and bought an angle grinder for under ten bucks on sale! Full price I think was under twenty! You can get 'em super cheap on Ebay too! Then just buy those five inch cut-off wheels to fit (also cheap) and you can blaze through that steel like butter! Hell, I don't even use a band saw for steel anymore. I just vice it up and zip off what I can with the cutting wheel and then hit it with the 60 grit on the belt grinder to profile it. Easy as falling down brother! OA is way too slow and way too high up there on the "pain in my butt" scale.

But hey, I'm the guy who traces my paper pattern with a sharpie right on to the steel when the rest of the civilized knife-making world is using a proper scribe. It's amazing how easy things can be when you don't know you're doing it wrong.

www.kansasknives.org

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 05-22-2006 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:44 AM
Steel Addict

Gary,
Sounds like you really could use a metal cutting bandsaw. I have 2 and I use them both all the time. I have had days in the shop where the bandsaw ran for 10 hours straight. I too have decided to go with a design not only well suited to combat, but also survival. I have spent some time hiking and backpacking around the country. Here in the midwest as well as florida and nevada. I finally finished the design this weekend. Now its just getting the supplies together. I know about the sore hands too, I pulled a 16 hr shift in the shop on wed. and my hands hurt so much I had trouble gripping the wheel to drive home.
Del
Old 05-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
This is an exercise in the unending search for the perfect blend of fighter/utility. Too much emphasis on one detracts from the other. It is fairly simple to make one or the other. It is a whole new animal to make one knife that will parry a bayonet and peel tubers equally well.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knives, switchblade