MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Master

Lie-Nielsen, a woodworking handtool company has pics of their nice chisels with hornbeam handles.

I understand, if you can cut out the pith before sealing the end grain and drying, that there might be less checking.

Take care, Craig
Old 11-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Steel Addict

I make all my blade profiles and training blades from several of the hornbeams (also called "musclewood"). Sometimes the grinder throws fits working with it, and sometimes it's a little smoother, like Hickory. It is often used as a substitute for Holly where something a little harder is needed. it's beautiful if you like plain white woods. it's really strong and it's tough as nails. I hear farmers hate it, as it's rumored to ruin some of their farm equipment. I also heard that cows like to sleep under it; the fruit apparently is a natural insect repellent. Right now I'm looking to make a walking stick/spear haft out of it; hoping to mount a detachable large knife in the end, just for kicks.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Guru

A technique that I have used with success is to cut to slightly oversize, and dry in the microwave (after air drying for at least 60 days).

Wrap the piece(s) in paper towels, and microwave on defrost cycle (any higher and you risk drying too fast) for ten minutes and air dry afterwards for ten minutes. Repeat this process three times (or more if necessary). Replace the paper towel each time.

Try this and see how it works with a scrap piece first to be certain as I haven't tried it with hornbeam. It should speed up the process considerably.

Gary
Old 11-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Gary,

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I have a lot more of it than I need so I'm not worried about ruining it.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarFigaro
Like Brent was pointing out, there's an ironwood nearly everywhere, it's just that it's all different species. Whatever was the hardest wood in a region would kinda get that name.
I kinda wanna say even Lignum Vitae has a nickname of ironwood.
I agree. Here in Missouri a lot of us call Dogwood, ironwood.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:12 PM

Just curious, but has anyone heard of "Canadian ironwood?" I have followed this topic, but no one has made such a reference. I bought a pen and pencil set that used this reference for the wood. The maker could not provide much information other than that he had bought some from a lady on ebay. I would say it does not match the description here, because it is nicely figured, not too dissimilar from desert ironwood, except that it has some really light tones. The darker tones are more akin to the lighter tones in desert ironwood. It would make a nice knife handle if one could find more of it. Unfortunately, I got the last of it from the pen maker on my pen and pencil set.

Paul

Tags
blade, knife