MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Steel Addict

Air Filter/ Respirator?

hey guys i have been doing some research on homemade air filters and quality respirators to use in my shop.

i have a small 10x12 shop and i would like to make an air filter from a squirrel cage that i got from my old HVAC unit. i found a couple designs online, but was wondering if you guys had any ideas, or links that you would suggest?

since we are on the topic, what kind of respirators do you use, or suggest. thanks!

Jeff

[www.cjsknives.com
Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Master

3m 6900
Old 11-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Hi Jeff!

I used an old furnace blower to build what I call "my dust sucker". I built a plywood box around the blower, and on each side of the box I built it to accept 16x25x1 furnace filters. My shop has a loft, for the exhaust goes through the loft floor, and recirculates rather than exhausting outside.....that keeps the warm air inside on those cold Montana winter days.

Asking about respirators will get me climbing up on my soap box! DO NOT SCRIMP WHEN IT COMES TO A RESPIRATOR! That means do not go to the local hardware or home store and buy a cheap one! I did that for years, and two years ago last month, I lost part of my right lung!
I had always worn a respirator, but never paid close attention to the quality or fit.....and it cost me 8+ weeks of sitting in my recliner, recovering from lung surgery. I would always be able to slightly smell what I was working on, and would always have those little black lines near my nostrils at the end of the day.....in short, I wasn't protecting myself correctly.

During my recovery, I had a lot of time to study up on respirators. I chose to go with the 3M 7300 series half face model. I now have one hanging from a hook, in front of every machine that creates dust......I have to get past the respirator to get to the machine. These masks have super soft silicone face pieces, with downward exhaust so safety glasses or face shields don't fog up. When properly worn, I can't smell anything I'm working on, and no more of those black lines near my nostrils at the end of the day.

Any of the particulate filters made for this mask are good for what knifemakers do. Beyond the baseline 2091 filters, each level of filter above that, just adds a level of protection for given hazards. I've become so anal with filters that just as soon as I can feel ANY restriction, I change them.

Whatever you choose, you must insure that it FITS YOUR FACE. For me the large size (7303) is the right one.

OK....crawling down off my soap box now.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Steel Addict

Ed,
thanks for your advice. i am sorry to hear about your lung. i hope you have fully recovered.

i have been looking into filters for my face, and found a site that talked about the 3 ways to eliminate dust.
1. creating dust
2. filter the air
3. respirator

so #2 and #3 is something i am looking in to. i wear a mask now very religiously, but i too can still smell what i am grinding and have the dark marks on my nose too! so i definitly need a new mask! i am all about safety so its time to invest.
thanks for your advice!

i am going to make an air filter with the furnace fan too!

thanks again!

[www.cjsknives.com
Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Skilled

Here's the only thing that I have found - as far as respirators go - that even makes sense.
I use mine all the time and no more will I ever buy junk.

http://www.resp-o-rator.com/

Please be sure to watch the ENTIRE video. It works as well as it seems, and it's just too simple to not be the right thing to do.

What do you do when you see your ex in pain, limping and bleeding?

Relax. Take a deep breath. Reload and then shoot again.

http://www.andersenforge.com/
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Steel Addict

I've been looking for a replacement respirator. That looks like something that would work for me. Just wondering if it might get tiring holding that thing up with your mouth...
Old 11-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Skilled

A lot of the weight - which is minimal - rests on your shoulders by way of those tubes. You only support, in your mouth, the weight of the mouthpiece.
I really haven't performed any tasks during which I experienced mouth fatigue.
Unlike when I start talking...........

What do you do when you see your ex in pain, limping and bleeding?

Relax. Take a deep breath. Reload and then shoot again.

http://www.andersenforge.com/

Tags
art