MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 10-16-2001, 07:33 PM
Roger Gregory

Questions, questions, questions

Alright, no messing around, straight to the questions:

1. Backgrounds. What is best, plain paper, studio scroll backgrounds, fabric?

2. Props. Do they work? Flowers, leaves, guns, watches. Do they work, when to use them and why?

3. How close? Fill the frame with the knife or allow some space?

4. Lighting. Make it look natural or use multiple lights?

5. Everything else!

Roger
Old 10-16-2001, 11:07 PM
PhilL0496

Roger, I can only give you my opinion. Use backgrounds and props to compliment the subject, and draw your eye to it. Anything that takes the viewers' attention away from the subject is a mistake. Negative space in a photo can be good if it's not just dead space. As far as lighting goes, we're used to having one main light source, (the Sun) multiple shadows can be distracting. However you can use reflectors to bounce light back into dark areas of your subject as long as they're not too strong. Usually a broad light source is best for knives, but tent lighting with no shadows are flat and lack depth. My feelings are to make a great photo is to have the subject come off the page, and make the viewer feel like they can touch the knife. Anyone can snap a good picture of a knife, great takes more effort.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:33 AM
Terrill Hoffman

Roger, As Phil has stated there is no "set" way for every knife. It would be great if everything was just "A,B,C" for each shot. I like a background that adds to an image but doesn't overpower the knife. Props that accent are fine but not always needed. Lighting is the hardest part of knife photography and just needs a lot of practice. There are no rules, so just shoot alot and go with what you like!
Old 10-17-2001, 09:26 AM
CKDadmin

Remember also that if you're shooting purely for the web, the more complex the background the higher the filesize will be.

Alex
Old 10-17-2001, 10:28 AM
PhilL0496

Let's back up a little bit, and let me ask you a question, "Can you take a straight Product Shot of a knife on a plain white background?" Because if you can't anything you add to the shot is not going to add to your skills as a photographer. What criteria should this shot have? Well, first of all it should show off the knife at it's best angle. Second it should be In Focus, front to back. You should be able to see detail in the highlites and shadows, (the makers stamp on the blade and the texturing on the black handle). Is the color correct for display on the Web? Can you tell if the blade of the knife is mirror polished or bead blasted?

These things to me are the Basics, get these things down first before you move on to backgrounds and props. If you're having problems with any of these basic skills I know you'll be able to find help and answers right here.

Tags
blade, knife, knives