MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 01-10-2002, 09:02 PM
Janet Ruhl

Folder Parts on Knifekits.com

I really like your new site Darrel! I think it's a great idea and I hope you do very well. I'm also very happy to see some of the goodies that you've got for folders.

My question is, I'm thinking of ordering a couple of those bushing pivot pins just to try them out. What I'm wondering though, is how exactly do they work to improve the action? I just can't see how they could make it much smoother than the pivot pin alone. Any insight you could shed would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter Atwood
Old 01-12-2002, 07:39 AM
Darrel Ralph

Peter
The bushing type pivots were designed for folks who make automatic knives. When you push the button down, it causes a pinch on the blade making for a slow blade or a non opening blade. If you use say .015 washers, suraface grind the backspine and the bushing to the same height. Surface grind the blade .03 thinner than the backspine and the bushings. Then make your washers fit over the bushing (this adds .03 to the thickness of the blade again). The bushing will hit the liner keeping it from applying pressure to the blade when the button is pushed.
I hope this answers the question.

Tags
blade, knife, knives, switchblade