MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 02-06-2002, 10:31 PM
D A Guertin

Missing screws?

I bought three DDR1 kits from TKS, and all three were missing 2 screws apiece; anyone else in the same boat?

D.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:08 PM
SIGGI

D.

All of the kits that I have gotten have had all parts.

Give them a call. They are great people and I'm sure that they will help you out.

Bob Sigmon
Old 02-07-2002, 08:03 PM
Presbo

Yup I got my DDRII kit with the up graded carbon fiber scales and NO screws to put them on with. The instructions say use the left over screws that come with the kit. The only left over screws are the super tiny torx # 6. Which go side ways thur the holes in the scales. Im disappointed in the quality of the kit. Also the instruction sheet LQQKS like it was photo copyed about 1000000 times.

Presbo
Old 02-07-2002, 08:17 PM
D A Guertin

hmm...

Which ones were *you* missing? I am missing a total of 6 scale screws; it sounds like you were missing the two screws that hold the frame together?

Old 02-07-2002, 08:23 PM
Coop747

Ouch. This hurts to hear. But I know EXACTLY how you feel.

When I bought my first DDR-2 kit I ordered the spare screws kit for about 6 bucks more. This gave me the opportunity to sand and get dirty the screws that I used while I shaped it, then switching over. Now it's my 'spare parts' baggy.

Darryl, here's my tip: ALWAYS include one or two EXTRA screws in the kits. The propensity to drop or lose one is real, and for the money, it just doesn't make sense to get thrifty here. See above posts. The little things take over and ruin an otherwise great experience.

Guys, I couldn't be happier with the quality of my kits, but I hear ya'. Be patient.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:23 AM
CKDadmin

Guys,

Send a note to the distributor where you bought your kit and the missing screws will be sent to you the same day, no questions asked.

Regarding the instructions, we're aware of this need. We're trying to complete a full set of new instructions for each kit now that include drawings like a model car kit would have. In the past, we provided a single set for the ddr-I, which can be used to build the other 2. However, we'll have individual instructions made for each series, which will also be available from our main site as a printable document. No complaints here, just need a bit of CAD time to generate and format the steps. We'll try to make these as basic and step-by-step as possible.

However, I can defend the comment about the "quality" of the kit. We feel strongly that they're the highest quality knife kits on the market today. Of course, all of our distributors are on the same page. That is, we're not going to argue with personal opinions, because that's not good business. If you buy a kit from us, and you're not happy with it for any reason, and before you modify, grind it, file it or whatever that would cause it to be damaged from it's original state, please send it right back and you're money will be fully refunded with no questions asked. These are designed in a way that you can put them together in a dry run to make an initial inspection of all the parts and fit, before you begin the modification process. If you determine that it's missing something, or doesn't look right to you, either call us for the replacement parts or box it up and send it right back. We're serious about this business and we want total satisfaction from all of our owners.

If you bought it from one of our distributors, the same rule applies. We have the same agreement with them, as well. Besides, we only sell to distributors who maintain the same business principals as us, so you won't run into any resistance at all.

If you'll notice, I didn't point my finger at the other kit manufacturers to water down the point of your dissatisfactions with the missing parts or other complaints concerning knifekits.com products. Our position is such that we see ourselves filling the upper tier of this market, exclusively. Of course, we're brand new and have to get up to steam on a few things, which we're doing now. But, well beyond the instructions, parts, materials, designs and overall fit & finish of the product (reports have it that a finished 605 has been sold for over $600), we're approaching this market to emerge as the pinnacle of the high-line product producers for those persons who wants to learn how to make a knife, as easily as possible, and who wants to end up with a finished piece that can rival anyone's work in this industry to a certain material and skill point.

Anything that prohibits our clients from the above experience is something that we're fully prepared to rectify immediately. No missing screws will get in the way of this, I assure you. Let us know what you need.

Alex
Old 02-08-2002, 10:58 AM
Presbo

Alex

I know that you are a "young" company and not perfect. So you will have some things to "iron out'. But to charge extra for updated carbon fiber scales and not suppy the customer with the screws to put them on with is not good.
The quality I was talking about is this. Looking at the right side bolster, inside where a counter sink was made to accomodate the knife blade pivot was not big enought. So when one trys to fit the bolster to the liner the bolster does not fit flush but rocks a bit and does not fit flush on the liner.Leaving a very some gap.For top quality this is not good in my presuppostion.
To answer your question where did I buy it from. I ordered it over the net from the following. Knife kits.com and it came from Briar Industries Galena Ohio.
And yes I have e mailed them and told them of the no screws problem.

Presbo
Old 02-08-2002, 11:41 AM
SIGGI

Re: DDRII Kit

The kit that I received fit up perfectly. Actually all four kits that I have gotten have had no problems and no missing parts. I order the scales for the DDRII in burgundy micarta and they were the proper size and the included screws fit the step drilled holes perfectly.

I did mar one of the screws when shaping the scales but that certainly is my fault.

Presbo, I have talked to these people several times and they are very helpful. I'm sure that when they get back into town (ya gotta do the shows) they will take care of your problems.

Good Luck,

Bob Sigmon
Old 02-08-2002, 02:36 PM
Darrel Ralph

Re: DDRII Kit

Presbo
If you had an EMAIL address I would EMAIL you and get this taken care of.
Please EMAIL me directly. I will send you a replacment screw kit to take care of your missing screws. As for the bolster .
We expect you to do some of the work on your kit knife. It is a kit. Take the screw and take a little off the top of it . The bolster will fit right on the liner then flush. The bolsters are cast. If the pocket is cast to deep the bolster will crack in production. So its the lesser of two evils.

As for the instructions . I have them here . yes they are a copy but I can read them fine. I cannot however speak for other suppliers of the kits. They may have them copied in bulk. Alex and I are going to put them on the site in a PDF file for downloading. This will allow the kit builder to get a fresh clean copy.
Please email ME at dr@darrelralph.com. I will send the screws out to you.

I will check the other kits to make sure there are enough screws in the kits.

Thanks for the ideas of including a few extra scale screws.
We will do that on future designs.

As for the upcharge for the carbon fiber. Carbon fiber costs 4 times the cost of standard micarda materials ect.
thats the cost difference along with the machining. The carbon fiber has to be machined with diamond end mills. They cost 600.00 bucks each.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2002, 06:06 PM
Presbo

missing screws

I e-mailed you the information that you asked for and thanks for your concern.

Presbo
Old 02-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Gig1

Re: missing screws

I don't know. . .

I purchased the "EV4NI" (in cf) and am overly joyed with what I received.

Put the knife together and had absolutely no problems. My kit came with all of the parts. Did a few tweeks to the liners and bolsters. . . I'd buy another. . .

Got problems with what you received. . .send a note to who shipped the knife and I'm sure that you'll get it all ironed out ASAP !
Old 02-08-2002, 11:59 PM
D A Guertin

Hmm....

Well, of the dozen or so kits that I have bought (yes, I'm *really* trying to improve myself), I've never had any problems before this..I only had one complaint, and that was the fact that the bolsters on the EV4N1 kits that I bought were off by roughly 1/8" from the frame scales. No real problem: The first one met my belt grinder, the second, my drum mandrels from TKS...

Old 02-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Presbo

missing screws and now....?

Help!

Well as of today the 11th I have NOT heard from ANYone from kifekits.com other then posts on here. I have done the following. 1) 1st day thursday (the 7th) I e mailed the company at the address that was on the instructions sheet. Two (2) days later I e mailed Mr. Ralph at BOTH of his e mail address. The one he posted to me on this forum and the one on his profile. Have not heard anything from him yet.

In the days passing have found out (thur talking to others on this forum) that it looks like the carbon fiber scales that I have, that three of the holes in the scales, might be defected? In that the kifekit people or who ever drilled the holes drilled to far ( that they over heated and) ??? In that they went ALL the way thur instead of step drilling the holes.

Also one of the bolsters counter sunk hole is not as deep as the other one. Thus the bolster rides to high. Again talking to others they tell me that both of there bolsters are DEEP sunk. Seems to me I just got a
"lemonkit".

Im off tomorow so I can call them and see what they will do about this. Look maybe like I might have to mail back the scales and wait some more till they mail so good ones back along with the missing sceews. By the way When I ordered the kit I ordered a EXtra scews kit. Because I looked at how small those screws are and said Wowie those are small. Might lose those under my finger nail ther so small.

Anyway BIG thanks to ALL the "guys", YOU know who you are for all the HELP.

Man without a Kinfe,

Presbo

Man without knife,

Presbo
Old 02-11-2002, 09:34 PM
Coop747

Re: missing screws and now....?

Sounds like somebody better check their email in a HURRY!!!!

I'm impressed at your resilience, Presbo. Hang in there!

Coop
Old 02-11-2002, 11:44 PM
CKDadmin

Re: missing screws and now....?

Presbo,

I'd be more concerned with your ISP, on the mail issue.

I have access to our mail server and have the original sent copies of the e-mail replies from Darrel back to you on the 8th and 9th, where he directly addressed your questions. I cut your ISP address from view and your initial questions, as it's not our policy to publicly post your mails. However, I wanted to reply to your comment with evidence of the exact replies to set it straight that we do not avoid problems or ignore complaints. What you implied has a direct impact on our business, and we want to avoid this connotation at all costs. (see replies below)

On your issue ... I'm not sure that you're having problems with the screws after all. It appears that the issue may be with the holes on the scales and not at all related to the screws.

Since we can not physically determine this over the internet without inspecting the scales, we'll handle it as follows. Tomorrow, 02/12/02, we are shipping you a new set of scales that will have the screws taped inside the holes where all you'll need to do is place them on the liner and tighten them down. We'll make sure that everything is exactly correct before shipping them over. These should be fine and you shouldn't have any more problems.

When you receive this replacement set, please return ship the originals back to us, so we can determine what happened in the manufacturing process.

I hope this will resolve your complaint. If not, please let me know here, or personally at aw@knifekits.com

Thanks again and sorry for the error.

Alex

---- Original Message ---------------------------------
To: "Dan"
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2002 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: presbo missing screws

> Dan
> I know of this condition.
> Just take a little off the screw on the side where the bolster will not
sit
> flat.
> Screws coming out Monday