MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-27-2002, 02:44 PM
Morgan Meader

Newbie questions

Hi all!

I just found this site a few days ago and ordered a kit. It's not here yet but I want to get a head start.

First let me say I have practically NO tools at home so I'm gonna be starting from scratch. I have a torx set coming with the kit as well as the Ivory micarta scales. I'm going to drop by the hardware store and get a dremel tool and maybe some extra bits ( could use some advice here ). Obviously I need a variety of sandpaper. Will I need leather to back the sandpaper? I read that somewhere. And concerning files. I really think filework will have to happen to make me happy with my work. So what file sets/sizes are recommended?

Also, while I have your attention, can any of you give me some links to online tutorials re: knifemaking? I'm really most interested in pictures because the terminology is still sinking into my brain. I think some good work-in-progress pics will give me an idea of what I may be getting myself into.

I have some experience building surfboards ( a little ) and some building sailboats ( also a little ) and because of these experiences I am aware of exacting tolerences and some sanding techniques. I have zero experience with metal sanding however so some advice there would be great.

Anyway... sorry for the long post.

Prost,
Morgan
Old 03-27-2002, 03:46 PM
DracAmy

If you click on the tutorials arrow on the top it will take you to A LOT of help with plenty of pictures.

Drac
Old 03-28-2002, 01:43 PM
ntrdm25

Hey Morgan,
These kits are actually fairly simple once you get the torx bits needed for the screws. I just finished my second kit which is the only kind of knives I've made so far. My advise is to go to the web site and print up the blueprints of the kit you ordered so you can get a good grip on how it should go together.

Brian Mason
Old 03-28-2002, 07:41 PM
Coop747

Morgan--welcome to the forums!

Don't apologize for the long post. I like clarity. With your experience on sailing and surfing stuff, you'll be rockin' us soon!

You don't need leather to do sanding, although it might help. I haven't tried it yet. I use two tools more than anything: a Foredom flex-shaft tool (Dremel's work just fine here), and a belt sander. Mine is a BIG 6"x48", but a 1" would do. Probablyt better.

File work?? Sounds good. I experimented and found that because of the hardness of the blade, I needed to work it with stones, or at least carbides. The liners would be easier to do than the blade, but it's still pretty tough material. Not having done ANY filework with actual files, I'm no help.

Sanding metal---start with 180 and work up to 400-600. Then I use an abrasive flap-type wheel for the final satin finish. On the blade, do the flat's last with a block of wood or metal--you will preserve the sharp grind lines this way.

Thee is a wealth of great tips all over these forums here at CKD. Even in this Kit forum. Look down at my 'Workshop Procedures' for some ideas.

Work smart and practice on scraps. Show us as soon as you are done!

Coop
Old 04-02-2002, 02:42 PM
Morgan Meader

Hey thanks for the tips folks! I really appreciate it.

Picked up a dremel tool last night and an assortment of files and sandpapers. I'll be getting a c-clamp mount vise that I can attach to my kitchen table tonight. What else.......

Old 04-02-2002, 09:57 PM
Coop747

Kitchen table??? You'd better buy your woman a set of tickets to the movies for the evening with another friend. You DON'T want a female around doing this work in the kitchen!!! :

Coop
Old 04-03-2002, 12:21 PM
Morgan Meader

You're soooo right Coop! I figure I can do these kits inside for now.

We're moving soon and I'll have a good garage so I'm going to be able to set myself up better.

Plus... my girlfriend is a stained-glass artist and shes does her stuff on the dining room table(she made a special table-top for this)... that's why I had to take the kitchen table

We're both looking forward to the garage but I thought I was going to set up a woodshop on my side... now I'm not sure maybe I'll have knifeshop capabilities also.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:58 PM
CKDadmin

Yes! ... If the girl's working on stuff of her own in the house, then we proclaim it "open season" for you to work on your knives anywhere in there you want to!

Alex
Old 04-05-2002, 09:17 AM
blckbear

Forget that!! If you help her make a mess then you will be required to help her clean up. At least that's the way it is at my house.

Now if you have the garage to yourself then you only need to clean up once a week, or more if your doing a lot of grinding.

Just my 2 cents
Mike

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives