MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-14-2002, 12:41 PM
John Frankl

squaring dies for press

Ed,
I noticed in your hammer-in photos some beefy looking squaring dies. Were they made by placing smaller angle iron under the angle iron that forms the actual die, or ....?

Thanks,

John
Old 01-14-2002, 05:31 PM
Ed Caffrey

YEP! I had problems with the larger dies getting crushed, and I re-enforced them with another (smaller) piece of angle iron. I also have a very large set (3" square) that I re-enforced with solid square stock. The dies tend not to crush from the pointed ends, but rather from the sides from all the stress.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:24 PM
John Frankl

dies

Thanks Ed.

Do you just tack weld the smaller angle iron at the ends, or do you weld it on completely, grind, and weld the larger piece the same way?

Also, for the large square stock, is it balanced on one corner? I am having a hard time imagining how the square stock goes into the triangular hole.

John
Old 01-15-2002, 08:33 PM
Ed Caffrey

Re: dies

The smaller angle iron was just tapped into place and then I tack welded it to the die plates and the larger angle iron. All it needs to do is be held in place, the welds don't take any stress there. Now the larger angle that makes up the actual contact areas of the dies are welded all the way across to keep the pressure from sliding them, or breaking a tack weld.
The top and bottom dies are identical, so if you can image a triangle on top and another on bottom, then you have a square (with the square sitting on edge) when the two come together.

Tags
blade