MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:05 PM
Master

Buffer Safety

Well, it's taken me a few days to get over being angry at myself to where I can even post this... Here's the story. I get a call last Friday about the opportunity to have one of my razors photographed for an article in a popular men's magazine (not one I read, but one that has a worldwide distribution nonetheless). They're doing an upcoming article on traditional shaving products and practices for men. This is one of those opportunities that just fell out of the sky and was a last minute opportunity, needless to say I was ecstatic. The only catch was that since it was last minute that they contacted me I had to have one ready to send to them by Monday or Tuesday for the article as the photo deadline was on Thursday. I tell them I will try my best, hang up, make some phone calls to cancel my plans to be out of town that weekend and then head to the shop to get to work. So anyway, I work non-stop all weekend on this razor and get it to where I'm happy with sending it out Monday night to be photographed. Deep hollow grind brought to a mirror finish, file worked backspine, gold plated pivot screws (which I had to plate as I was out of the right size already plated), G10 spacer with mosaic backpin, and presentation grade Desert Ironwood scales adorned this razor. So Tuesday morning, I'm inspecting my work carefully and notice a few scratches that occurred during assembly, and I decide to buff them out quickly. Instead of walking the few extra steps to get the buffing belts off of the wall and put them on my KMG, I'm in a hurry and haven't engaged my brain for the day apparently, so I head straight for the buffer, turn it on, and start buffing. Then it happens. Before I can even think about what just happened, my "opportunity" flew through the air and slammed into the adjacent workbench. Cracked blade and a bad ding in one of the scales... This razor now lives somewhere in the creek out behind my shop.

The missed opportunity to have my work photographed for a popular magazine article really bites, but I guess I should be extremely thankful for still having my fingers attached. We hear people say all of the time that the buffer is the most dangerous tool in our shops, and until Tuesday morning I've never had it take a work piece away from me... thankfully it didn't take a few fingers with it! So anyway, I'm going to make sure my brain is fully functioning from now on when I work in the shop...and I have a new found respect (and hate!) for the buffer. Just wanted to say, everyone who said it before was correct, the buffer is the most dangerous and insidious tools in our shops.

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 04-21-2004, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast

Thats a tragedy Darren My condolences to you, and be thankful you still have your hands!

"A good friend is someone you can call to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend would be sitting next to you saying how did we get into this
s#$%!!"
Old 04-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Guru

Thats too bad Darren, sorry to hear it. Im still glad youve got your fingers though. That would make answering all my email questions a little slower. . Hopefully the opportunity will come around again.

Shane

P.S Received product today.......Thanks a million. Youll have mail soon.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:36 AM
Hall of Famer

That's to bad Darren, what a great chance to get some national exposure. Yep, like the guys said, I'm happy you wern't injured.
Wish one of your razor clients (nearby) would have had one to help you out on this. Something will come around again eventually, hang in there.
I have a 5 HP 3-phase dual buffer, with 10" hard and soft cloth disks. My day is coming I bet, I've been lucky.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 04-22-2004, 05:22 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon cutlery
owwwww sorry to hear that man. thoes buffers like to wate till its real inportant to screw stuff up for you for me it tends to be that mirror finished blade that gets thrown on the gravel floor a fu feet, on its side of corse

giving you your sharp and pointy fix since 1995
Old 04-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Master

Thanks guys for the kind words. I'm definitely going to be much more careful around that thing from now on. I've been using those buffing belts from K&G for most hollow grinds and they tend to not catch as easily, but I got in a hurry and didn't think this time! Well, easy come, easy go as they say.

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 04-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Hey Darren, I got my order from you today. Arrived in great condition. All inside was intact, and very well packed. I appreciate that! I get stuff from some places that use nothing at all. You (or your wife) even individually wrapped each firebrick! Anyway, thanks for the good service!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 04-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

I find that it is important to say two prayers before using the buffer. The first prayer is that nothing goes wrong and (thus) no one gets hurt. The second is to ask forgiveness for that long stream of involuntary words that appear when all those hours of work are suddenly destroyed by that stupid buffer!

I guess I should consider myself lucky, as I have not been injured by that particular tool. (Other tools, not so lucky. And it's no consolation to have the doctor say, "Well, I've never seen one like this before......")

Old 04-22-2004, 05:33 PM

Man, those things are dangerous!!

I've been out of commission since the end of February due to the carnival ride we call a "BUFFER." Like Darren said, before you can think about it, it happens. Being a newbie, I get excited about progress. I've tried to keep it safe in the shop; gloves, respirator, face shield, etc....But acidents still occur. I was trying to finish a skinner before the Batson Symposium so that I could get a professional to critique my work. I had been buffing out the blade already that morning. I stopped to inspect the blade and took my left glove off. I saw a small scratch and decided to give it one more buff. As I stepped into the machine and began easing the blade to the wheel, the blade was "gently removed" and placed back into my hand via my left index finger (dominate hand). The end result was a severed flexor tendon and nerve damage. Surgery repaired it, now ocupational therapy is strengthening it.. .... I hope to get back to it by early June. Maybe I can finish the knife before the Blade Show....

I thought I was safe.... Newbie or Pro, you can never be to safe.....

I do, however, consider myself blessed. I'm alive with ten fingers.

Mike

Old 04-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Skilled

i checked the search area and didn't find anything on buffer safety,in actuality a drill press is rated as the most dangerous shop tool,and the same safety precaussions should be taken.

1) NEVER wear gloves while using a buffer.

2) DO NOT wear long sleeves.

3) remove all jewelry.

4) tie back hair and or beards if they can in anyway get near the arbors.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Steel Addict

Dang Darren...how very dissapointing that must be.

If it were easy...everyone would be doing it.

If it was ment to be...it would be.

With your skill and talent as well as ambition you can rest asured that more oportunities will come your way...possibly bigger and better next time.

Hang in there!

Sincerely,
Rob

Old 04-22-2004, 07:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Golly Mike, that's a really bad break for you. I'm extremenly relieved that everything got put back in it's place. The PT will do wonders. I'm also very impressed with your attitude!
Quote:
I hope to get back to it by early June. Maybe I can finish the knife before the Blade Show....
That really tells us something! I wish you the best, and looking forward to seeing your work posted on the forums. Hang in there guy!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 04-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Skilled

Darren, Sorry to hear about your missed opportunity for exposure, But I am happy that your OK.

At least you didn't get exposure in a medical Journal.

NT Yard'n Ape McKay

Manu Forti

With a Strong Hand

Tags
blade, knife