MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 02-19-2002, 12:27 AM
CKDadmin

Is there any question ... ???

Sucked you in, didn't I?

Actually, in looking at all the kits you guys are finishing, and the personal styles that you've brought to each piece, my point above is this ...

"Is there any question that the use of these kits as training devices is helping you to speed up the learning curve in performance knife making technique?"

Do you see how you have benefited from this process? If so, please detail what you think the top 3-5 areas that you perceive these kits are helping you become a knife maker, or even simply a better one if you already have experience?

-----

Then ... a question ...

We are currently developing two more precision folders to add to the 2002 line. We're going to introduce these shortly. One, will be a high-line folding tactical and the other will be a very classy Gents folding piece. Both will be highly modifiable, and made to the same specs, even better than what we now have available in terms of additional modification options.

The question ... "are you guys ready to take a stab at some skill level 3-5 type kits yet?"

I mean, these will be based off the same set of construction skills you are now learning, but will require more in terms of time and could require a more advanced set of tools to really bring out the ultra-modifications that you'll see we've built into the designs.

Basically, do you want us to hold them back a bit and let everyone catch up, or would you like us to try to bring these new designs to market as soon as possible?

Please inject your thoughts ...

Alex
Old 02-19-2002, 06:35 AM
Big DB

No doubt about it, these kits are AWESOME!! Aside from the obvious fit and finish, the construction aspect of a liner lock has been top of the line. I have the tactical folder book and it is very useful, but I don't think anything can replace actually having something in my grubby mitts. I have gotten a lot better and more confident with my homemade beltsander, I can see this in the finished knife. I for one would like to see as many kits for sale as possible. The one thing I would try to have available is individual replacement parts that one could order as we screw up the originals. I am definitly willing, not necessarily able, but I would tackle any kit you brought out.
Dan
Old 02-19-2002, 06:37 AM
jar

I'm speaking from a pure marketing point of view right now so please don't flame.

I think you need to concentrate on getting the supply and distribution bugs worked out with the four present models before adding any others. For example, the kits with scales on the DDR I are still shown as B/O and unavailable. You also need to make sure that you can keep and distributors supplied so that they continue to list and push your product.

The number of variations built around the existing kits is nearly unlimited. If you look at what's been shown here, we each took our knives in totally different directions. I personally plan on making at least three more DDR I and DDR IIs and have even thought about how they will differ from what I've done so far.

Get your base set firmly and then bring out additional models. (Unless you have a nice drop point loveless style kit sitting on the shelf )
Old 02-19-2002, 08:29 AM
nybble

I'm still cranking away at my first ddrII (after screwing up one side of my scales - starting filing down the wrong side!!). I'm not up to moving up in skill level, although I would like to see more sets to help motivate me to get going. I'll probably try some more II's once my first is done and then maybe an EV. Now if you were to, say.. release a balisong kit, regardless of skill level, I'd definitely order 2 or 3 of those off the bat!
Old 02-19-2002, 09:01 AM
SIGGI

Alex,

I think that everyone will seek their own level.

These kits are the greatest thing since the knife that sliced the bread!

I do agree with jar that you should be sure your distribution of existing model is ramped up. Problems getting items to customers causes black eyes that heal slowly. Personally, I've never had any problems.

That said, Heck yea. Bring 'em on. Every knife that I put together is a learning experience. Fit & Finish, different material for the scales, adding filework etc. etc.

This all leads to a better product when I start making my own knives. (Yea, I'm in the process but it takes awhile to get it all setup).

Thanks for providing a great product! In the end everybody wins.

Bob Sigmon
Old 02-19-2002, 04:26 PM
Coop747

Alex,

My answer to your first query: Yes, of course each one of these kits will help a burgeoning new knifemaker get the confidence and skills needed to advance. But I really don't know that your core market (and I will include myself in this sample) is attempting to keep making more and better knives until a achieving status as a bona-fide maker. My guess is that your target market--and hence the people whom you need to focus on--are just going to do this occasionally to fulfill a long-time or even spur-of-the-moment desire. But not with the ultimate goal of doing this much further. That's OK.

Having said that, then the follow-up about a wider base of knives and level of difficulty is a natural. The challenge has been met with the basic models, so let's advance.

I think the points made about having parts and materials readily available is KEY and crucial to your success. Backorders are a disappointment for everyone, and will inhibit your sales. I made two great knives, but neither were the material that I initially wanted (Ivory micarta). As was said--get your existing stock in order first, then let's go!

You also may want to carry some tools for shaping and refinishing later on down the road. along with different scale materials. Spacer stock? Metal backspacers? Different thumbstuds? Belt sheaths? Almost everyone wants to make a 'personal' version. Harley Davidson is a stellar example of a bike that just BEGS to be personalized, and they (HD) are the first ones to help you do it. Tutorials and hints on your website would be VERY helpful. This is a great concept that can do even better! Cha-ching!!!

Thanks for asking.

Coop
Old 02-19-2002, 06:41 PM
Sam Wereb

Working on the two kits I have has made me contemplate, and better understand the pivot. I think this is the most important part of the folder and it has to be done right, before anything else works.

I think that any current supply chinks might be anomalies so I don't worry about them.

I think that tutorials hold some promise for your growth. Lots of people have tried to do them before, and you are the guys to do them right. They will make a long term difference.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:07 PM
Ropes4u

Yes...

I will order the new kits.. I would also like to be able to order the liners alone so I can work out the rest myself.. but for now I will take what I can get. As soon as I get my wood scales cut and fit I will post pics of my first two, not sure if I will file them or not yet..

Thanks, John

Tags
balisong, butterfly knife, knife, knife making, knives