MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Steel Addict

Lightbulb Grinder mod.....

Having the grizzly 1x30 is as you can imagine not ideal but functional none the less. I have used to get 4 blades ready to be sent off to letters heat treat and am going to have some time to do a little tinkering with it. I was wondering with all the vast knowledge on here if you guys might have some must haves as far as mods might go for it. Looking forward to everyone's input.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Not sure there is much to be modified on those tiny grinders. Maybe a stiffer platen. Possibly remove the 5" disk, or maybe add weight to the disk to try to get it to act as a flywheel to give the little motor some help.

I have the Grizzly 1x42" that uses a belt drive instead of direct drive like the 1x30 and like most other 1x42's. With the belt drive, I was able to change the pulleys to slow the belt speed. It already had a 1/2 hp motor which is decent on such a small grinder....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Steel Addict

Looking at it some more what would be a good alternative to replacing the top roller? Looking at maybe a longboard wheel or something similar. In using it I've noticed that it is crowned and makes using it in grinding finger choils and such rather difficult because it never comes out flat. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:11 PM

If the top wheel is crowned that's because it is used to control the belt tracking. Replace that with a flat wheel and you'll probably lose pretty much all your tracking control ...

Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Steel Addict

i have have been wondering about using a dimmer switch to slow the motor down on my 1x30.... in my head it seems like it would work....
Old 01-08-2014, 01:54 PM

Depending on the type of motor it has it could work. The downside is that a 1x30 is terribly puny as it is and if you use a dimmer switch to slow it down you will also severely reduce the available torque which won't be very helpful ....

Old 01-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Steel Addict

Tracking would be a good thing to have. Going to do a little digging then maybe and adjustable rest or something of that effect.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
i have have been wondering about using a dimmer switch to slow the motor down on my 1x30.... in my head it seems like it would work....

I tried it.... well I actually bought the speed control from harbor freight. like Ray said, it lost torque. To the point where I had to turn it up to full speed for it to work. I returned the controller. There is a slight chance that the controller was defective but I don't think so.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:08 AM

The dimmer switches were made for low load/amperage work as in lights and small motors like you would find in a hair dryer. They won't last long with a larger motor and can catch on fire. The HF speed controller is not even designed for the larger motors but for the smaller motors you find in hand tools. Using with the larger motors causes a lot of extra heat that will eventually ruin the windings in the motor or melt the contacts in the speed controller.
Use pulleys to regulate speeds, you will still have torque issues but not as severe nor detremental to the motor.
Bottom line is to use as designed and save your nickels to buy a more serious machine.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
bee, blades, fire, flat, grinder, grinding, hand, heat, heat treat, help., lights, made, motor, tiny, tools