MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Steel Addict

11 September 2001- Let us never forget!!

None of us should ever again need one day a year to remember all that has been sacrificed for our freedom and way of life. But, for those who need a SPECIAL day, here it is. We should all take some time to thank all of those responsible for preserving our ability to thrive as the greatest and most powerful nation in the world...
This is not meant as a political statement. Just a statement of my most humble gratitude!!

Thank you to all of you !!!

Sincerely,

Steven Kelly

S.K. Knives
11407 Spotted Fawn Ln.
Bigfork, Mt. 59911
(406)837-1489
www.skknives.com
Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 AM

I scheduled no appointments for tattoos today. My family and I visited Ground Zero a few weeks ago and were moved to tears at the tragedy that still seems to linger.

Seven years later, and thousands of 'pilgrams' still ring the site trying to catch a glimpse through the barricades--maybe snap a photo--just to know that they've been there.

Above it all though..., hope..., and a toughness that could only exist in New York City.

...one of the most moving experiences in my life. Thanks for posting this.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Master

Thanks for the important thought, Craig
Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Hall of Famer

Happy Patriot's Day, everyone!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Skilled

I remember where I was when the shots rang out from that book repository in Dallas. I remember watching as man took, "...one giant leap for mankind." I remember staring blankly at the radio in my truck that morning and thinking, "Turn around...I've gotta home."

Words are insufficient to express the pride I feel to be a citizen of this great country and my gratitude for those who serve her.

chiger,
Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Seven years ago today, I was just getting to the Base (Malmstrom AFB), and as I was pulling into my parking spot, an announcement came on the radio that a plane had just struck one of the towers. At first I thought it was a prank the radio station was pulling.....I went walked to my office, and as I was unlocking the door, the phone was ringing. I rushed in and answered it. From that moment on, life in this nation changed forever.

It was my Commander, calling me from his cell phone, telling me to "get to the Armory, and get things prepped for an emergency weapons issue!" Within 20 mins I was getting an Intel briefing from our Command Post, and within two hours there was a complete recall of all personnel....they were armed up, and the base was literally ringed with guards.

In the next 24 hours, we mobilized, and were ready for deployment to anywhere in the world. The next two months are somewhat of a blur.... working 12-16 hour shifts, eating and sleeping when and where we could, and waiting for the order to "move out."

That order never came, but it changed everything from that point on. Shortly there after routine deployments began to places in the world that we never had a presence before, and has continued to this day.

That single instance of terrorism ended many innocent lives, and changed this nation forever. No longer would the U.S. be immune to the ugliness that rest of the world experiences on almost a daily basis.

The terrorists were successful in achieving their goals......not only in loss of life, but in the fact that the attacks served to create fear and suspicion in the American people, as well as causing our government to institute measures, that prior to these attacks, would have never been tolerated by this Nation's citizens. For some entities it opened a door, that can never be closed. We need only look at airport security to view the most visible intrusions into personal liberties. Although our government has conducted internal "spying" for many decades, it is now more prevalent and openly conducted than ever before.....and as the world becomes a smaller place, those activities will only increase.

Yes, it was a horrible tragedy, that will forever live in our history, and my prayers and thoughts are with those who lost loved ones on this day........but it also served as a wake up call to many, that the U.S. is not invincible, and opened our eyes to things never before considered.....some good, some not so good.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 09-11-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

I was working in a petroleum terminal on the Houston Ship Channel. A group of us had volunteered to fix up and paint a house in one of the poorest parts of town. An elderly Hispanic woman lived in the house. Our group was to get the house ready for the second group to paint a few days later.

It was weird today because - even with Hurricane Ike bearing down on us - the morning was just like that one 7 years ago. Deep blue sky with not a cloud in sight.

On the way to the old house, it was announced on the radio that a plane had hit the first tower. As we worked, more info came out. Someone went and bought a small portable TV. We chipped paint and hammered siding while we wondered about friends and family and what this would all mean.

As the day wore on, the old lady's daughter came to check on her. I was chipping paint near the front door when she came out to leave. She looked at me and said, "Y'all are doing a wonderful thing on a terrible day." She walked away with silent tears falling from her face.

The enemy would like to pretend that they are combatants. Their propaganda machine would like everyone to believe that they have some right to do what they do; that somehow they are empowering their world.

The truth is that WE are the builders. We built those towers and the wealth and freedom of this country. We were the ones reaching out to help those in need - like that old lady with the broken house. It takes a lot of hard work and caring to do all that.

All they can do is destroy and kill. They have no empowerment, no new world to create, no civilization to build. Bin Laden is nothing more than an egomaniac who wants to rule the sick world he envisions that will worship him. The names change - Hitler, Stalin, Tojo, .. - but the image remains the same.

God bless those who build, who create, who care about their fellow humans, who put their lives at risk to save others. God bless our troops for putting themselves in harm's way for us.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Hall of Famer

I heard of the first plane hitting the tower as I drove to work at the clinic; it was just after it happened and the news people were just trying to get their heads around it. When I got to the clinic the other people and I were debating what it ment. Was it an accident or was it deliberate? Then the radio said that a second plane just struck the other tower and we knew that we had just been attacked. Everyone was numb. It was going to take days for the enormity of that morning to sink in.

Doug Lester

Old 09-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Skilled

Thanks Steve!

for the reminder. May we never forget the loss of life, the bravery of the those on board the airline went down over Penn. and 1st responders, the sacrifice of our men and women in uniform (both then and now), and the
wickedness of radical fascism.

Dana

Tags
forge