MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 07-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Steel Addict

Widmanstatten Structure

Robert, that is a beautiful piece. I would strongly suggest you cut a small piece and forge it up a bit then cut, polish and etch it again. It would be a shame if you lost that beautiful crystal structure in the forge. Or are you going to grind it to shape? Didn't think about that......

Geez, I look at the stuff you guys are making and I feel like I have 6 thumbs. My big project yesterday was to cut off a piece of flat bar 3/8" x 1" x 3". I forged it into a three-legged trivet 6" in diameter. The legs were about 1/4" at the center and tapered to a point where I turned them to a nice scroll. The question was whether I could make it from one piece without any welding. It was interesting but the result was singularly unspectacular.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Skilled

Robert don't touch it! WOWWOWOWOWOWOWO what a piece!

That's a treasure. Deserves a window box and a wall mount

Steve.

PS. Use that mouse pad platen for your handle work, it's wonderful. I can even get 3m microfinish belts to make a nice finish with that thing.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Please excuse me for butting in with my 2 centavos, but I've been on the sidelines reading this for awhile - and in total fascination - and felt abliged to say something.

First - rhrocker, the guys are right - you need to polish up and display a piece of that meteorite! (Another possiblity would be to embed a piece in a handle or blade!!!!)

Second - Please don't ever think that we readers don't appreciate your knowledge! That willingness to share knowlege is the greatest thing about this forum. People who've been doing excellent work for years - and rhrocker is no slouch among them - still come across new ideas and better information. Those of us farther back on the curve are frequently in awe! What's also neat is the breadth of information, as it covers technical issues, marketing, artistry, materials and suppliers, and sometimes plain old horse sense.

Lastly - a bit of criticism - It sure would be nice if we could find a translator for these metallurgists. The discussion is fascinating; I only hope I'm understanding most of it!

Oh, almost forgot - the asteroid/rock layer you're talking about (with reference to the age of the meteorite), is that the iridium layer resulting from the asteroid that hit what is now the Gulf of Mexico?

Old 07-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Steel Addict

A bit of Criticism

TexasJack, I think your "bit of criticism" is appropriate. We got a "bit" out of control there. However, I think you have to learn the language if you want to understand the science. Go back a page or two and check out the link to the page on www.iforgeiron.com. Yes, it is a bit technical but it has to be if you want to learn. There is a difference between some one telling you what fishing is like and teaching you how to fish. If you learn the basics of ferrous metallurgy and the concepts related to heat treating, you should be able to process your blades using the best and most appropriate methods. There are obviously several people here who can help when you have questions.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

I've got a couple of Wayne Goddard's books. He probably explains metallurgy for knifemakers about as well as anyone.

I don't think y'all got carried away at all. The point at which art and science interface is a most interesting place to visit.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Skilled

I'm with TexasJack - I don't think you got carried away at all.

This is one of those threads that every time you read it, you understand a bit more.

Here's another great link. Explains the process with pictures of little fishies and everything.

http://swordforum.com/metallurgy/ites.html

Steve

Old 07-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Steel Addict

Fishies....

Actually, I have visited that site before, I just didn't know who created it. I have to admit, the fishies are certainly more creative and entertaining than conventional crystalography.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Guru

If y'all live anywhere near a university, you can often find older editions of text books for a couple bucks. Students sell their books back at the end of semesters. If they changed books for the course, they only buy them back for $2. Find a student and offer them $4 for their material science text .

On the age of meteorites...you can do isotopic ratios similar to carbon dating, but with different elements/isotopes (K-Ar, U-Th-Pb, etc). The usual assumption is that asteroids/meteorites are the same age of the earth...4.55 +/- .02 billion years 8o . Ebay has had a lot a nice meteorite sections at decent prices in the last months or so.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives