MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:50 AM

Help with my benchmade 62 pivot :(

I have a benchmade 62, and i bought flytanium scales for it, problem is everytime i wanna unscrew, it is almost impossible from the pivot area, for example if i start on the safe handle, the T6 screws could be unscrewed, BUT when i try to unscrew the T8 it moves but as well from the other side so never comes off.

Like i unscrew one side the other side screw moves with it, not like the benchmade 51 which the pivot is only one T8 screw, the benchmade 62 is double sided screw, so if i hold one with T8 screw then other side i try to unscrew with T8, its over super tight or still one screw moves with the other.

What can I do? Please help . I really want to take it off..
Old 10-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Chances are very good that the pivot was assembled with locktite..... a thread locking compound. There are different types of thread locking compound..... from what you're describing, it sounds like red locktite. It will release with heat, but it's around the 400F range.....and applying that kind of heat could damage other parts.

My advice is to use two T8 #######, one on each side, and do the best you can to loosen the pivot screws. It's not without risks..... you could twist a screw head off, or otherwise damage something...... if the company used thread locker during assembly, that makes it obvious that they never intended the knife to be disassembled. Often times after market parts are produced/offered, with the maker NOT doing enough research.....in this case whomever is selling the scales didn't do their homework. Good luck!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Tags
advice, art, benchmade, flytanium, handle, heat, knife, lock, pivot, problem, release, scales, screw, screws