MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Living Legend

Makers mark

Hi,

Ran into a problem with my makers mark. I was using a symbol:

But was informed that it's a company's symbol, so I'm left with trying to come up with something new. My real name is either to common (Jim) or too big (Drouillard) for a knife and my nick name of Drac sounds way to funny for most people to take seriously.

One of my co-workers recommended:

looks to much like a cattle brand and I think I've seen it elsewhere. So does anyone have any ideas?

Thxs,
Jim
Old 03-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Living Legend

Your last name is not as big as some others. I recommend you use that. If you use your name, everyone knows who made the knife. No doubts about it.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 03-26-2004, 03:10 PM

I am not sure why Drouillard is too big. If I can fit Vanderkolff on mine your should fit.
Steve

Old 03-26-2004, 03:19 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
OK, Jim, look at it this way---

Drouillard is a #### fine name. Either use smaller letters or a longer blade----HA HA

Old 03-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Living Legend

It is also unique. I have never hear that name before. My name is pretty common and could possibly get confused with others but I don't know of anyone that has the same name that is making knives.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 03-26-2004, 06:25 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I feel the same as the others, use your name if you can. If you really feel that it's too much or maybe you only make tiny blades, you could consider a phonetic equivalent like Drulo or Druilo or whatever works with the correct pronunciation ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-27-2004, 07:43 AM
Master

Jim, that interlocked "JD " is used by Jock Dempsey over at Anvilfire.com. Do you stamp it or etch? Have you thought about engraving it?
Old 03-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to krept
couple ideas...

I dig messing around with letters and came up with these in just a couple minutes. Obviously they are freehand with marker and very crude but it gives you a couple ways to look at JD going together other than the standard brand way as you put it. Any can be refined and made cleaner, adjusted for proportion to the other letter, angles changed, etc.

the ones in the top left are more of a vertical style made by starting with a bar and an "S" shape and joining them

fwiw...

cheers,
Erik
Old 03-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to krept
also, what did you like about the first symbol that was already being used by a company? It's easy to tweak things like that around as well especially if there is some kind of meaning behind it... i.e. use of interlocking shapes, repetition, things like that.

cheers
Old 03-27-2004, 11:03 AM

My preference is always towards a smaller mark. Icons are a good way to achieve this, as you tried. I like Erik's scrollings better than a full longish name. That's just me.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 03-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Drac,

I vote for the name mark. . . yours is a name you should be proud of and as mentioned before, one that is unique enough that it will stand out and also be remembered.

Try experimenting with different font styles, and maybe you'll hit on one that strikes your fancy. . . something like these:

Good luck to you,
-Mr Mike

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Last edited by Mr Mike; 03-27-2004 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:37 PM
Steel Addict

I've been thinking about making a logo for my knives,saw where alot of you think the last name is better thought a symbol would be better than just MARANI any input thanks
Old 03-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Santino,

Symbols are cool but you can't read them. Case in point: the Artist Formerly Known as Prince changed his name legally to an unpronounceable symbol. Well, ain't that cool, but now how can you talk about him or refer to him? You can't, so people still call him Prince.

If someone doesn't know your symbol, they won't be able to look you up on the internet if they see one of your knives and like it. They can't say, " I saw a knife that I liked that was marked with a thing that looked like an S with something across it or a lightning bolt or yadda yadda and does anybody know who this guy is?"

A hundred years from now it may not matter how you signed your knives, but if you want to develope a reputation they need to be able to put a name with the knife 100% of the time....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-29-2004, 05:36 AM
Steel Addict

thanks
Old 03-29-2004, 08:16 AM
Living Legend

Thanks for the input guys; I did some research over the weekend. There doesn't appear to be any "Drouillard" knife makers besides myself. My name is kind of rare away from the Canadian border but fairly common in the Detroit and Ontario areas of Canada, even a street in Windsor with that name. It's kind of funny a few years ago everyone was "What kind of name is that?" Since the bi-centennial of the Lewis and Clark expedition I've had more than a few people recognize it.

I'll probably go with my full last name. It will be a challenge to get it to fit on folder but I could always just put it across the blade instead of the recaso (sp) the way several other do.

Jim

Tags
blade, knife, knives