MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 01-30-2016, 08:36 PM
Skilled

Book about Bo Randall

Does anyone know anything about this book from Dominique Beaucant?

Regards, Samg

Old 01-30-2016, 10:47 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
I know Dominique is a d-head. The book is actually somewhat interesting but full of errors.
He sells on eBay and places an unbelievable price on his knives....mostly Randall's. His descriptions are always full of shiznit and are simply funny. He has had $800 Randall's for sale at a BIN prices ranging from several thousand dollars to many, many thousands of dollars. It's ridiculous and when the Randall community calls him to task for it he calls us every name in the book. He likes to claim that he is the only individual out there with any Randall experience.
The only reason I keep his book is because it was the first book written about Randall and I have kept everything written about Bo and his knives.
Ronnie
Old 01-31-2016, 05:54 AM
Skilled

This new book has been in the works for a couple of years now, with Dominique acting as writer, publisher and everything else involved. I do not know anybody who has laid out the big bucks to purchase a copy of it yet, but I'm sure there will be some excellent photographs and stories included in it.

The 2nd edition of "The Randall Saga" is a very good book full of great pictures and information. I found a copy for $25.00 instead of the stupid money people try to get for it.

Dominique was a contributing writer for Rhett Stidham and the RKS way back in the 1980's and was considered by all as a knowledgible authority on the subject. I have spoken with him personally, without badgering him about his auctions or what have you, and he is just an enthusiast like everybody else. I see insane auctions on fleabay everyday, and just move along without the need to insert my two cents into the mix like many of the other self-imposed experts on the "other" forums. Too many ego's in that Brain tank for me!

Last edited by Ta2bill; 01-31-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:57 AM
Skilled

For what it is worth the interactions I've had with him give no confidence that he is reliable or even"all there." He bald face lied and misrepresented a common knife that was supposedly associated with Vietnam and General Westmoreland

He showed a book he had gotten signed by General Westmoreland after he had represented himself as associated with the shop...I cannot forgive a deception like that. It was an attempt to con someone, and he had lied and deceived a man I greatly admired.

He also is the one who showed that Bowie case and 1970s Feisal knife set and claimed they were the second set ever made in about 1959 or so. That claim was completely spurious and rediculous and deceptive as was his reaction when questioned. He has claimed he is suffering from this or that fatal ailment so must sell a rare Randall artifact when neither was true.

I have never insulted him. Yet the one communication I have had with him was replete with fantastic attacks. The body of "work" associated with him lately strongly suggests nothing he says can be trusted, and I don't. I don't know if his bizarre behavior is something new...perhaps he has had some mental stress or something. But his actions if observed are those of a professional con man.

My two cents. Let me add that others on the other site are dealers first, and are primarily interested in making money and commerce in Randall's, and not collecting or the lore. I don't much care for them either...but they have not often tried to just con someone. This guy is a con in my opinion.

Last edited by Jacknola; 01-31-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:28 PM

Hi Sam!

This is the first time I've heard of Beaucant's new book. It'll be intersting to hear more feedback about it in the future.

I have the first and second editions of his original book published in the early 90's, but only for my collection of RMK literature.

Like Jack says, poor Dominique seems to have "problems" in recent years in his relations with perspective eBay buyers.

Cheers!

David

Old 02-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Skilled

I wanted to update everyone about the new book out by Dominique Beaucant "Bo Randall, Portrait of an American Legend"

I received the book from Dominique last week, and I must say that I am very impressed by it. From the very appealing , professionally done protective box, instead of a dust cover, to the many well done photographs that I personally have not seen before, in a well done hardcover book.
Many letters, photos of rare Randall Knives, even insights into Bos personal life with his dogs and wife being pictured.

I haven't had the chance to delve too deeply into the book yet, but I am pleased overall. I feel it's a nice addition to my Randall collection.

I have been in contact with Dominique, he has been very helpful and accommodating, shipped in a very timely manner, so my experience has been very good with him.

I know that Dominique has received criticism from both this and other forums, but my original question was has anyone bought the book? Not what do you think his character is.
I am a bit sensitive to that, as my character was wholly attacked on the other forum, for simply standing for my beliefs.
So in dealing personally with Dominique, my interaction with him has been pleasant, and I recommend his book. He took care to do a great job of layout, and making sure that the book was appealing, which it is. It's very obvious to me that Dominique thought very highly of Bo and Randall Knives, it comes thru in this new book by him.

Regards, Samg
Old 02-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Skilled

Good choice Sam! I don't know if you read my comment above, but I have spoken to him a few times about the book before it was completed. He wanted me to pay for it beforehand, but I told him that I would wait until it was published. I know for a fact that I have enjoyed ALL of his writings over the decades.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Skilled

Thanks Bill. I don't have any of his other books, but will have to check them out.
Regards, Samg
Old 02-14-2016, 03:46 PM
Skilled

He was a contributing writer for Rhett in the RKS letters. "The Randall Saga", 1st and 2nd printings, are his other books.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:25 PM

Hi Sam!

Thanks for posting positive feedback about Beaucant and his new new book.

How much does he charge for a copy, and how does one contact him?

Cheers!

David

Old 02-14-2016, 05:36 PM
Skilled

I believe that the Randall shop still has some available. I believe that there are only 300 books available.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:33 PM
Skilled

I bought my copy directly thru Dominique on eBay. Here is the link, and be sure to read the entire description.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201513299038?_mwBanner=1

As I mentioned earlier, I found the book very interesting, with many photos that I had not seen before. Letters on shop stationary, newspaper articles, family photos and knives that I had not seen before.

Regards, Samg
Old 02-15-2016, 06:20 PM

Thanks Sam and Bill!

Cheers!

David

Tags
back, bee, book, books, bowie, case, common, first time, for sale, knife, knives, made, making, randall, rare, sale, sell, shop