MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Skilled

Grizzly 10" Contact Wheel Problem and Where To Get Good Contact Wheels

I have just recently finished building my own grinder and everything works great except for a little wobble from the 10" Grizzly contact wheel I am using. I am trying to do everything free handed and all is well until I try to get the shoulders even on both sides and the wobble from the contact wheel makes it difficult to get them straight and even from one side to the other. I turned the shafts I am using on my lathe and I know they are straight and I checked the contact wheel with an indicator and it runs true on the contact side but from the side when checked with the indicator there is considerable run out which makes the belt move from side to side although it isn't a lot it is still too much for me to do a good job on my knives. Where is a good source to get good contact wheels that are not too expensive? Also is there anything that can be done to help this Grizzly wheel perform better? I appreciate very much any and all help on this matter. The Grizzly wheel aluminum part of it is cast and balanced but it doesn't appear to be trued on on a lathe just cast and balanced and the outside has very good rubber on it.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Enthusiast

maybe if it's new enough you could send it back and get a different one and maybe that would fix it? Also I just bought an eight inch wheel for my Wilton from Sheffield Knifemakers Supply and it cost like $86.00 or so. It was actually a Bader wheel that was shipped from Bader to me. It has a steel frame to it not pot metal or alluminum and has an indention where it was trued up. That was just the tire part not the whole wheel and bearings. Just thoughts to kick around.
Good Luck
Old 03-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I also have an 8" wheel from Sheffield's on my Grizzly. Also, check out Rob frink's wheels at http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com They might have some price advantage.......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast

g.h. i would be glad to do it for you but my old atlas only has a 9 in swing.hopefully you can find someone around with a larger lathe that can true it up for you.good luck, tom.

Old 03-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Skilled

Thanks guys for the help, I just discovered the problem is that the wheels are balanced but not trued up at the factory (China) and I was able to true them up by leaving them on the grinder and using some old wood lathe tools I had laying around. Since the body was cast aluminum and rubber on the outer rim, it cut easily with the wood lathe tools and I pretty much solved the problem. It there is any belt run out now it is practically imperceptable. If I hadn't been impatient I could have had a local machine shop do it for me but since I did it myself it didn't cost me anything unless I start charging myself a shop fee. Thanks again.

Gilbert Norfleet, Jr.

Tags
knives