MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Registered

Repairing belts

I have several belts that came with my used grinder that will come apart after running a minute or two. They were stored in an outside workshop that was hot and humid. Is there anything I can do to use to put these belt back together, keep them from coming apart, prevent this in the future?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
If the belts are coming apart at the joints....nothing you can do (at least nothing safe). Best thing to do is trash them and purchase new belts. I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear.....but its the best thing you could do.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Good quality belts don't usually come apart like that. (And, trust me, my garage defines 'hot and humid'!) A disintegrating belt can be a dangerous weapon in the shop. Avoid manufacturers whose belts come apart or have a poorly leveled seam. (You'll know it by that 'thump-thump-thump' as the seam goes by.)

Old 08-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Skilled

Gun-Plummer....there have been many people on this forum that have had access to new old belts (NOS). Almost without exception they have all been advised to not use those belts on a grinder. There is no need to throw them away...there are plenty of opportunities to use them in hand sanding, but using them on a grinder is not only dangerous, but also if they last for only 2-3 minutes then they are not going to be that effective as an abrasive.
Resist the tendency to think that you're the only one who can escape these failures. There is a reason why using these belts on a grinder are not being recommended. Any savings that you might incur by using these belts will be quickly offset by their poor performance and will result in additional time being spent as well as poor results on your knives.
Bite the bullet, and do yourself a favor and just buy good quality abrasives. It will prove to be money well spent.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:02 AM
Steel Addict

it hurts to spend 8 bucks per belt for the nice ceramic ones, but a belt flying apart at 1700rpm or better can really ruin your day. Especially if it is a fresh 36 grit. Replace your old belts with good quality new ones. You'll be glad that you did

Tags
back, bee, gun, hand, hot, knives, throw