MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Living Legend

Feed back on a couple members

Been doing the moving thing this past weekend and really have put a couple knives I've gotten from you guys through their paces so I thought I've give you guys feed back.

The knife I got from Brett has been going through hell as his has been used doing the work in the old house getting it ready for the move. Been used a lot on drywall, both board and tape, and doing the electrical work. Its edge has been holding up very nicely with just a light touch up on the rods until a slip on my part put a little nick that I had to polish out. It wasn't too difficult to sharpen, about what I'd expect. The handle has been fitting very comfortably in the hand with a good positive grip even when my hands were sweaty from working in the attic installing recessed lights.

The one from Gary has been hard working in the kitchen. Good grip even when wet and hasn't needed much touch ups, the only real complaint I have on it is I can't get it to turn black in a nice patina!! I've tried potatoes, lemons, tomatoes, limes, none of them work. What?s the world coming to when you can rust a knife?!?!

Andy's have been taking a major beating on the move. His gets the new house so all the tape and cardboard are doing its thing to the edge. It has been holding up great under the cutting. Haven't needed to touch up the edge yet after one weekend of moving, unpacking and opening new "some assembly required" furniture. I did mess up the blade somewhat when I used it to cut my pizza e had for dinner Sat. night. Even though I rinsed it off as soon as I saw what the sauce was doing I still put some black on the polished surface. Once the shop is back up I'll polish it back out. Sorry about that Andy I'm not sure if I should be happy that I found something to put a good patina on the kitchen knife or worried about eating that marinara that can blacken blades better than lemons?

How are my blades to you guys holding up? Edge retention there?

Jim

Last edited by Drac; 02-26-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Master

I'm making a leap, here and guessing that you mean me on the second one?

If so, Thanks Bud.

I can't get most of my knives to patina either... can't figure out why..

G.

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Living Legend

It's the one with the blue giraffe bone bolster.

Jim

Old 02-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

You may have hit upon a great improvement for knife testing. Instead of all these silly events cutting water bottles and such, we could be having pizza cutting!

Good luck with your move. Speaking of tests, that should be the psych test for NASA. If you can move a household without running off screaming, writing someone out of the will, breaking something of great value, or just giving up and throwing out boxes without opening them - you should be able to handle about any stress.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:17 AM

Jim,

Glad to hear that it's getting used! I'm gonna trade my wife knives this week and see that your blade does some cutting. She can't get used to having one, so when she needs something cut, she forgets it's even there in her purse.

Your New York Special fighting knife saw duty last when my step-son carried it with him while he stood in line for a PlayStation 3.

I'll get back to you with a report on the wharny in a week right here in this thread.

I bet the acid in that sauce made for a cool effect! Maybe I'll try a pizza sauce etch!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 02-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Living Legend

Thanks Andy,

I still need to get the "destructive" knife out to you, sorry about the delay. With the move I've been a little distracted.

I'll look forward to the results on the EDC.

Jim

Old 03-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Master

Hey, yea, Good Luck with the move!

T.Jack is right..... I know it and I've only ever done the packing for a move....thats enough to provide the need for padded rooms....

G.

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:59 PM

Jim,

Since you posted this, I've been carrying that little wharny every day. It gets the daily duty stuff which is not much of a challenge, but recently, it got to help me fix a screw up.

I was at my grandson's first b-day party putting together one of those plasic cars the kids paddle themselves around on. I snapped the axels and wheels on before I reallized that I forgot a part. This meant that I had to pry off the cap that was snapped onto the hub. It was on there TIGHT too!

I pulled out my (your) knife. I looked at the tip thickness and considered carefully what I was about to ask it to do. I remebered that it's made of S30V and decided to try it.

After some grunting and careful leveraging of the part, it came off. The tip of the knife was just slightly (very slightly) bent out of shape. Nothing compared to how for it was bending under the stress of the job. I straightened out against a table top, and it looks like brand new!

I also cut open a lot of boxes and hard plastic packages that day. I have still not had to sharpen it!

This is a good knife Jim! THanks!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 03-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Living Legend

Sorry I haven't been back sooner but the move has proved to be a major pain as well as getting the other house ready for sale.

Thanks for the feedback Andy! That sort of use is the reason I go with S30V.

Jim

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives