MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Registered

Any recommendations on a duty knife?

Hi, I'm in the emergency services field and I currently carry a Smith&Wesson auto as my duty knife. It's inexpensive and takes a beating but I'm tired of carrying it AND a multitool.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a knife that has the following features:

-auto or assisted opening main blade
-window punch
-screwdriver(s) phillips & slotted
-pocket clip

Microtech has everything except the screw#######. Mikov has everything except a window punch (and a phillips). Leatherman knife has all except it's not auto or assisted.

I realize a philips screwdriver may be a tall order but I figure it never hurts to ask. Know of any custom knife builders that might be able to handle it?

Thanks! This is a great site.

Last edited by veritasmp; 10-07-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:14 AM

Hmm, hard to say..

Hi!

You have already mentioned Mikov.. I was going to suggest them, I like the solid feel of them + they come in pretty affordable prices!

The US-made high tech, high end autos are off course reliable users but then you have to pay a whole different price as you know. And with your demands i doubt that you will find a auto-knife that holds EVERY tool that you have in mind.

But maybe you could settle for one of the knives you have checked out - that have at least one or two tools???

Good Luck!!!
Martin
Old 01-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Enthusiast

May not be applicable, but

Hi there,

This may not help, however if space on a service belt is the issue, have you considered a "piggy back" pouch. Carry both knives together.

Regards

Se
Old 02-07-2008, 02:33 PM

Swiss Army just came out with the "Rescue".
Google their web-site and watch the promo- might be right up your alley
Old 05-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

While carrying a Mikov is a nice compromise, the "piggy back" option seems to be a better solution. I have seen the SOG automatic at prices between $89.99 and $99.99. (These were the prices at www.pvk.com.) "Piggyback" that with a multitool, and you'll likely get better service form both the knife and the multitool.

Since the SOG has a swept blade made of 440C stainless steel, it will hold a better edge than your old S&W auto. The reason for this, is because they harden the unit to 60 on the Rockwell scale. This makes the blade more difficult to sharpen, but by the same token, it makes it hold an edge longer. The Lynwood, Washington company really "did their homework" when they built this auto knife. It isn't a "stilletto" blade, but a curved blade, suitable for emergency work.

Look into it.

Here's the SOG-TAC advertisement @ www.pvk.com.

SOG-TAC Automatic SV
$89.99

In stock: 05/15/09

The SOG-TAC is an invigorating new design that looks like nothing else. It is big but relatively slim and is specifically designed for action. Blade travel is definitely fast and once open it locks up like a floor safe. The machined 6061T6 hard-anodized aluminum is inset with G10 textured inlays. The SOG-TAC also features a safety switch on the black of the hand that double locks the blade in the open or closed position.

....................s p e c i f i c a t i o n s

Blade Material
440C

RC Hardness

Blade Thickness
.125"

Blade Length
3.5"

Handle Material
T6 Alloy

Length Open
8"

Weight
3.8 oz.

Country of origin
USA

Last edited by Gunfan; 05-15-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Tags
blade, forge, kits, knife, knives, switchblade