MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2006, 12:57 PM

No knife content - interesting images

This page will take a while to load, so be patient. Here's one of those lovely Colorado mountain streams - this one falling down through a long ago breached earthen dam higher up. It's a series of 4 shots at various shutter speeds linked together as an 'animation.'

Here's a panorama in black and white as my camera pans out from the side and bottom of the alluvial fan (flood plane) I'm standing in, looking at Deer Mountain in Rocky Mountain National Park across the valley.

My new Canon 90mm TSE-90 'tilt/shift' lens continues to impress . It made a sharp series of shots of the stream, in focus from the foreground (very close to the camera) to way further back - all in good focus. Even at f22 - because the scene is very close to the camera - the actual depth of field is insufficient to have the background in focus at the same time as the foreground without tilting the plane of focus away from the camera. And, after taking the time to level my tripod, the lens captured three landscape shots with no horizontal distortion at all, making for an easy to stitch together panorama. In the end, because of moving clouds changing the exposure between shots I elected to desaturate the whole thing rather than struggle trying the match all the colors in photoshop.

The"tilt/shift' thing is not new technology. In fact it's been around since the beginning with those big box view cameras with a bellows that was flexible, then medium format cameras where the box itself tilts and shifts and finally SLRs using a specialty lens with moving parts. It's a kick to use and opens up lots of possibilities.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper

Tags
knife