MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Guru

just finished heart dagger

I just finished this one tonight, I think. When she see's it may want some minor changes to be made but here it is. red dyed buffalo horn and nickel/silver pin. Was a major pain getting the bottom shaped correctly.

Think my white balance is off on these.

Ed
Old 05-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to justice
very nice i like the scales alot!!

....justin
Old 05-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Registered

looks nice....did you have to use a file on the tip?

Get a free profile and get recognized!
www.makerprofiles.com/knives
Old 05-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Guru

the bottom i did have to use a file as the hole is quite small and it could use different techniques on the next one. The tip next to the blade I used a flap wheel on a dremel.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Skilled

Ed,

I did one almost identical to that one too! I covered up the top hole though and rounded the end off but the rest is basically the same. One thing you can do is when you get the scales cut out, shape the blade end while they are off the knife. I have even put a small drop of super glue to keep them together while doing this but I shape and get the end to the final polish I want for the rest of the handle. Then after I install them I put a small piece of blue tape to cover where the blade and scales meet. This helps prevent any unwanted scratches on the blade near the bolster or scale area. Make sense?

Good work!

Bill
Old 05-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Guru

that's basicaly what i did cept i did't use glue or tape i just held them together and used my flex shaft with a sander.

Biggest problem I have is the red dye is at most 1/64 deep on the top layer only. if you sand it smooth then it's no longer red. Am considering doing the stabilized dye to see how that works. Gotta be a way to get the dye deeper and keep it there.

Next time I will do both top and bottom before I glue, the sides im not worried about as that's the easy part.

Ed
Old 05-19-2006, 12:34 AM
Skilled

I used some sort of acrylester I think. It had some dark marbling throughout but the colors went all the way through. I can't tell by the pictures but did you file some kind of design in the top part inside the hole? It looked like it had some edges on it or something.

Bill

Tags
blade, knife