MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2006, 10:03 AM

Steel and Steel Thicknesses for Newbie

Hi,

My 15 year-old son and I will be starting making knives soon and I want to purchase some steel to start getting practice on while using a belt grinder for the first time.

I was thinking of purchasing some 440C steel to use mostly to practice on and to make some knives where the steel wasn't the main focus but to also perhaps purchase something like ATS-34 when we felt sufficiently skilled to try our hand at making a knife of better quality.

I would appreciate any advice on if these two steels would be good choices at our skill levels.

Also, I would like to know what steel thicknesses are about typical for making folders and also average-size fixed-blades. I am thinking that 5/32" thickness might be good for small folding knives while 3/16" thickness may be good for a sheaf knife?

Thanks for the responses,

Mario

Tags
blade, knife, knives