MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Talking What's up, Folks???

I'm watching here every day for somebody to start something interesting.

I haven't posted in awhile because I've been very busy getting orders out for Christmas and finding knifemaking machinery bargains.

About 2 months ago I bought a brand new Burr King 2x72 belt grinder with all attachments from the widow of a collector who wanted to make knives but never got around to it.

About a month ago, I bought a 6x18 Reid surface grinder and a Royal Oak grinder at a local auction at a price I just couldn't pass up, so I sold my 6x12 Boyar shultz surface grinder.

Today I went into a local industrial machinery dealer to buy a new reamer. They've had a new Wilton square wheel 2x72 belt grinder on their display floor for at least 10 years.

I told the manager that I was tired of looking at the thing every time I come into the store. He replied that he was tired of looking at it too, so I told him I'd give him 10% less than his original dealer cost if he'd have it put into the trunk of my car.

SO,,,,, I brought that home with me too.

When I got back to the shop, a guy was waiting for me. I've been teaching him to make button lock folders. He helped me unload the square wheel and set it up, and then he bought my 30 year old Burr King that I've made hundreds of knives on, but no longer need since I have the two new ones.

So, within the past two months or so, I have 4 new machines, and have sold two old ones!!!

I've been finding pennies on the street, sidewalks and even inside my car now for all of this year. I've been very curious about what this would lead to.

Now I know, and hope my streak of good luck isn't used up yet.

You know, it always pays to follow the Golden Rule.

Alex and I are still working toward getting the on-line school of Knifemaking started in November, so if you're interested, keep your ears to the ground.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
MAN ! Must be nice to run upon those types of deals. Would be even better to have the funds to close those deals ! LOL Maybe someday when I have the money..I ll find something nice like that.Congrats !

Dave

PS. If you lived closer I would LET you teach me too !
Old 10-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Skilled

Yeah you know Don, it seems like when makers graduate (evolve?) to making folders, they lose their interest in being part of the knifemaker community. I'd love to see a breath fo fresh folder-making air blow into this place. I've been busy making tappers and a few folders here and there for customers. Nothing I really have had much time to ponder. I should really be taking some photos and posting. I have a few neat methods of setting stop bars and cutting locks, but you need a vertical mill for them.

Let's all see what we can do to pump some adrenalin into this forum!

Suggestions, anyone??

Old 10-31-2005, 08:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Dave, move closer and come on over. Or at least, sign up for some of the courses we'll offer when we get the school going.

Jeff, nice to have you here on the forum. Welcome! Check out the two threads here where we all made barlows and framelocks together. Neat photos and descriptions of our work in progress.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:51 PM
Master

Hi Don.
I have two 2X72 belt grinders very similar to the Wilton. I have one set at 90 degrees for flat gringing and the other one I use either a 10" or 7 1/2" wheel on. I've read many times that a Wilton will make any knife if used by an experienced maker. I believe it. You DID get yourself a couple of good ones didn't you?
I admit to being very busy right now. I don't take custom orders so in order to sell I must have them finished . Frank

Old 11-01-2005, 06:03 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson
Dave, move closer and come on over. Or at least, sign up for some of the courses we'll offer when we get the school going.

Jeff, nice to have you here on the forum. Welcome! Check out the two threads here where we all made barlows and framelocks together. Neat photos and descriptions of our work in progress.
Thanks, Don.

Like Frank mentioned above, I'm super-busy too. I used to patrol these forums all the time, but since becoming a full-time maker, I have little time to browse. I try to make the time though. I feel like the knifemaker community is an important part of what I do.

This Wilton... Is it the older - better kind made in USA? Don't they have the new Square Wheels made overseas now?

Old 11-01-2005, 07:09 AM
Hall of Famer

It's got a great big flag decal says, "MADE IN THE USA". As I said it's been sitting on the dealer's floor for over 10 years.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:15 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to justice
i have a few ideas

1-why dont we try to design a new locking system together?

2-or we could work on improving an existing locking system mabey something like the LAWKS system that crkt uses?

3-Don since you have been talking with Alex lately, mabey we as a group could design a new folder and you could present it to him and darrel as a prototype for a new kit?

4-i liked the idea of doing a 4inch slip joint project.

5-how about a small key chain folder with an integral bottel opener and more then one tool/blade. if made simple enuff we could each could make a bunch and thay could given away as xmas gifts.

6-we could do a bailsong project.

....justin
Old 11-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Skilled

Holy Smokes! I like all those suggestions.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson

I haven't posted in awhile because I've been very busy getting orders out for Christmas and finding knifemaking machinery bargains.

About 2 months ago I bought a brand new Burr King 2x72 belt grinder with all attachments from the widow of a collector who wanted to make knives but never got around to it.

About a month ago, I bought a 6x18 Reid surface grinder and a Royal Oak grinder at a local auction at a price I just couldn't pass up, so I sold my 6x12 Boyar shultz surface grinder.

Today I went into a local industrial machinery dealer to buy a new reamer. They've had a new Wilton square wheel 2x72 belt grinder on their display floor for at least 10 years.

I told the manager that I was tired of looking at the thing every time I come into the store. He replied that he was tired of looking at it too, so I told him I'd give him 10% less than his original dealer cost if he'd have it put into the trunk of my car.

SO,,,,, I brought that home with me too.

When I got back to the shop, a guy was waiting for me. I've been teaching him to make button lock folders. He helped me unload the square wheel and set it up, and then he bought my 30 year old Burr King that I've made hundreds of knives on, but no longer need since I have the two new ones.

So, within the past two months or so, I have 4 new machines, and have sold two old ones!!!

I've been finding pennies on the street, sidewalks and even inside my car now for all of this year. I've been very curious about what this would lead to.

Now I know, and hope my streak of good luck isn't used up yet.

You know, it always pays to follow the Golden Rule.

Alex and I are still working toward getting the on-line school of Knifemaking started in November, so if you're interested, keep your ears to the ground.

First I've heard of the online school. I'm VERY interested.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Skilled

An online school.!!! Sounds interresting. I'm glad you have such a streak of luck. I hope to meet you next year at BLADE. Maybe some of it will brush off on me.

Last edited by Andries Olivier; 11-01-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Skilled

Im pretty comitted to learning folders.....been fiddling with my first recently and have found that this is my type of stuff! I can't wait to finish this first trainwreck and start over on a new one, avoiding all the stupid mistakes ive made thus far. plus....i am not quiet and will post pictures all day long once i get settled into making them!
Old 11-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Skilled

Quote:
I thought you'd abandond us!
I've got a whole bunch of "ask Don" questions I've saved up over the past weeks! Look out! Here they come.

Did you read my thread in the Tool Time forum about my surface grinder? Okay, maybe "vintage surface grinder basic parts kit" is a better description. he he. Short story is it has some age but very little wear, had some minor damage that I've repaired, was aquired completely dissasembled. I've assembled it from the boxes of parts and it is ready to run as soon as I do a few more things:
  • get grinding wheel(s) and (make) a wheel dresser
  • find a replacement motor and determine correct pulley sizes to get correct SFPM
  • turn some spindle spacers for mounting the abrasive wheel
  • determine if the mag-chuck can be repaired or not.

Before I got the grinder it was being used with a slitting saw so I don't have the pieces for mounting a wheel to the spindle. These are just two bushings with shoulders that sandwitch the wheel, right? Should I turn these out of aluminium, brass, bronze?

What SFPM should I be targetting? The old motor was spinning a slitting saw faster than the 6500 SFPM the grinding wheels all seem to be rated for. I'll get new pulleys to match the needed speed when I get a new motor (old motor bent and broken).

In previous threads you recommend a Norton blue SG wheel in 46 grit, IVS hardness. Where can I buy these? MSC and Enco don't seem to carry these.

Lastly (and thanks for standing up to all these questions) with the grinder I aquired a permanent magnet chuck. It has almost ZERO grip. You almost can't tell when it's engaged. I've read three things (doing internet searches). I've read that it could be dirty inside and needs cleaned out to restore good contact. I've read that it can be "remagnitized" to restore strength. And lastly I've read that the above don't work and it's junk. I've been soaking the bolts in penetrating oil and was planning to crack it open tonight and have a look. What is your take on this?

Thanks and more thanks in advance of your always great advice.

-Ben

ps - I've almost finished a My Way "hybrid framelock" similar in construction to the one you posted in the "lets build a framelock" thread. I just need to grind the blade and it's finished. I'll post it there when it's done.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Master

Well Tik Tock.
You are in a bad way with the folder bug well established in your want to do system. Move forward with it! It will continue and grow if you encourage it. All I make are liner locks. The desire and excitement and not quite complete sarisfaction is always there!!! The few words of advice I give you is don't become dissapointed if the "problems" seem to be there for what you believe to be a long time. Just keep working on them as you go. Look for excellent help in this forum, but realize in the end something you missed and failed to include may not get you an absolute answer. I sure wish that I was making the perfect knives! I'm not, but I sure try. Frank

Old 11-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messinger
Lastly (and thanks for standing up to all these questions) with the grinder I aquired a permanent magnet chuck. It has almost ZERO grip. You almost can't tell when it's engaged. I've read three things (doing internet searches). I've read that it could be dirty inside and needs cleaned out to restore good contact. I've read that it can be "remagnitized" to restore strength. And lastly I've read that the above don't work and it's junk. I've been soaking the bolts in penetrating oil and was planning to crack it open tonight and have a look. What is your take on this?
Ben, I've been a machinist most of my life. I can tell you that I have seen a few attempts to restore old mag chucks to their former strength, but I have never seen one success story. As in the way your hand tools and other things become magnetized, so does the same effect happen over time to demagnetize a permanent magnet chuck. Imagine the chuck to be a battery of magnetism. You do so many parts on it, and the amount of stored magnetism eventually drains away bit by bit with each piece you grind. The magnetism is taken away and it does not return. This is why you see so many crappy old permanent mag chucks on eBay.

Solution? If you have to buy a used one, get the electromagnet type. Or, try the chuck in person. Or, be sure to buy from a reputable eBay dealer, who would refund your money if unsatisfied. Buyer beware, hey?

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives