MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 03-28-2003, 01:40 PM

Hill Pearce 'Mediterranean' knives..

As many of you have learned, I have a desire to collect knives made by a now-retired knifemaker
named Hill Pearce. His style was labeled in the early eighties as '20th Century Alabama' knives
(Knives 1983 -inside ft. cover). Since I acquired one a few years ago, I have been on the lookout
since. Fortunately I purchased #2 off the Cutting Edge catalog last year (mislabeled maker, so I got
it undervalued , and #1 was from a listing I followed from eBay. (Sometimes it works!)

Last year I placed a small classified in the 'Wanted' section of Knife World for Hill Pearce knives.
I had gotten no responses out of that and forgot about it. Well, fortunately for me there is an
ex-dealer and collector up here in the Northeast: Reggie Page, who saved my listing. Apparently he
had three of Hill's knives, and this was the last of them. One he claims to have sold at the
Canadian Guild Show for $3500!

Anyway, Reggie contacted me a couple weeks ago and sent me paper pics. Lousy shots, but I saw what I wanted. We agreed on a price and Reg sent it right out to me.

Take a look at this beauty:

The damascus, Reggie described as 'Maiden Hair' and it is simply beautiful. Look closely at the
guard and ferrule--it is ALL one piece of forged stock from the ivory to the tip. Almost a full
integral. The buttcap has an accent button of ivory, and the wonderful fluted ivory handle has a
couple of very small cracks--which according to Reggie have not grown in the ten years he has owned
it. We both agree that it adds character and authenticity at the least to the piece. (Anyone think I
should touch it with some crazy glue?). Also look how cleverly he had angled the ferrule and guard
out of the blade, on a very small angle, so the taper of the handle remains parallel to the upper
backspine's line. Also included is his characteristic chisel swedge on the top and his careful and
creative filework.

When I went to the ABS hammer-in this fall, I brought along many knives from my collection. Without
fail the knife that stopped the Best of the Best in their tracks was my Hill Pearce knives. I had
Steve Shwarzer, Jerry Fisk, and Harvey Dean all ogling my ebony fighter at once, and they all shook
their heads in disappointment that he has long since disappeared. Each one of them thought it was as
beautiful a blade as they had seen. I certainly felt justified in my selection!

Here's a shot of the three Hill fixed-blade knives I own. (I also have two small folders).

Med Bowies? Khards? Khybers? Fighters? I dunno. I just like the look.

If *any* of you know more about Hill and especially his whereabouts, I would appreciate it. I have
followed up many dead-end leads, but I have heard from others that he is certainly alive and simply
not doing knives.

If a current MS made this knife, it would be heralded. I am a lucky guy, indeed. Whatdya think?

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 03-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Very nice collection Coop. You have a real eye for beauty. All of your discriptions fit. The Spanish notch has a place in the style somewhere. Maybe there is several influences all going at once. Good luck in tracking down Mr. Pearce. It would be interesting to hear his story behind the knives.

Old 03-28-2003, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Coop-

Very, very nice. I love Spanish Belduque style knives like these! Thanks for sharing.

Did a google search for "Hill Pearce" and there were only two possible matches.

Interestingly the first link led to a post on CKD forums by guess who? Coop747 back in January 2002.

The second possible link is - http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisanid.asp?ID=215 - It mentions a Mr. Hill Pearce as a premier muzzleloading gunsmith in the same sentence as such notables of the craft as John Bivins. By the looks of his knives this could perhaps be the same man. This link is to a Muzzleblasts article which is the magazine of the Nat'l Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc www.nmlra.org . A letter to them may be worth your while.

Hope you find him.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 03-28-2003 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:39 PM

Yup, you're right about the blackpowder crowd. He has been involved with this as well. In fact I am told that is what he was into that drew him into the knifemaking side.

Joe Mangacairina (SP?), who ran the NYCKS for years, owns a Hill Pearce black powder muzzle-loaded gun. I'd love to see it.

Thanks for looking. I have another Pearce Bowie that has just become available as well. Hmmmmm...

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 03-28-2003, 11:00 PM

Closure..!

I got a lead on a phone number and followed it up. "Hello, this is Jim Cooper a knife collector from Connecticut. I'm looking for a Hill Pearce--is this you?" "Yes, I'm Hill".....

I just spent well over an hour on the phone with Hill. He is doing just fine and lives on 20 acres of land with only a phone and no TV near McIntosh AL. We had a marvelous conversation and I learned so much I can't begin to describe it all here. He spoke like the artist his work portrays and was very easy to chat with. He jokingly referred to his work in passing as '20th century Alabama', after winning the 1983 'Wooden Sword' award from Knives Annual along with Jim Corrado and Bob Lum. Ken Warner used it and it stuck. He was influenced with Baroque gunsmithing and his work reflects this style.

He is concentrating on writing now and has three different projects underway. He plays guitar and shoots daily. He loved his knifemaking and gunsmithing days, but that isn't what drives him any longer. He had a clear recollection of each piece I own and described details of the their history and construction that I wouldn't have known. All his handtools are in storage in another state with the late Bob Watt's son Robert. I think he purposely distances himself from them so he stays focused on his immediate goals.

All my pieces have HIS own damascus on them. He learned damascus making from Sid Bert, and did a bunch of knives with his own material. He did use the imported Indian damascus on a few blades that was featured by Rob Charlton's company, but he didn't like the stuff. You can tell the difference whether his maker's mark is stamped on the blade or the butt end. Mine are all on the blade--his steel. Butt marks were the imported steel. (Notice the metaphor... .

I promised him some hard-copy prints of his knives from pics I've done. He was very pleased to hear of mine and other's enjoyment of his work. He mentioned that I should keep my eyes open for some very nice ivory lockbacks he was proud of as well.

So, for the moment I have some closure. Hasn't taken any of the enjoyment away from the 'mystery' though. Real people are wonderful. In fact it just got much better!

Coop

Old 03-29-2003, 12:21 AM
Skilled

I had a similar experience with a very different kind of knife maker.

I first got interested in knives when I was a kid reading the Latham book, "Knives and Knifemakers." Inside the book was a page that had three knives by Dan Dennehy.

30 years later I smacked myself on the head and asked why I hadn't found those knives. I posted in a bunch of forums looking for anyone who had those three knives, and couldn't find people who had even seen the knives or had heard of Dennehy.

There were several references on-line to him retiring several years ago from knife making, and some even said that he was supposed to be dead.

I found a number that I thought was for one of his children, and when I called hoping that they might know of some collector who might be willing to let go of one of his knives, a voice came on the line and said "Dan here."

To make a long story short, I should shortly be receiving my own versions of the three knives that ignited the love of this art in me three decades ago.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:10 AM
Guru

Coop those are fantastic knives I like the style. Gib

Old 04-01-2003, 06:15 AM
Hall of Famer

"He had a clear recollection of each piece I own and described details of the their history and construction that I wouldn't have known."

.......and we will never know, unless you spill the beans.

C'mon Coop. you gonna share or keep us in suspence till after april fools day?

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 04-01-2003 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:04 AM

You already know about the damascus and his mark identifier.

The middle fighter was one he made in 1982 and was the reason he won the 'Wooden Sword' award in 1983. That knife Ken Warner held and critiqued.

The bottom knife had no basis for the handle that he knew of. He just thought it looked 'period'.

Hill's best friend was the late Bob Watts--an accomplished gunsmith who he worked out of his shop to finish many of these pieces. Together they went to the Friendship, Indiana 'National Black Powder Assn. Show' yearly. Hill has also made a number of rifles--none of which I have ever seen, but I am working on it.

There is a Pearce Bowie on Wayne Reno's website (for sale) that has a very small handle disproportionate to the blade. Very imbalanced, one would think. According to Hill, these early Bowie knives were utilized most as 'choppers' and having a heavy blade and a smaller handle gave it the action needed to lop off a branch--or worse!

The ivory he used on my piece was from a BIG chunk of tusk he bought from Jim Hammond back then. BTW--I gave Jim Small Hill's contact because he and Jim were longtime buddies who lost touch. I expect some news from them guys.

Lastly, as a gesture of goodwill for the enjoyment he has afforded me past and present, I have already sent him one of the new 'Custom Folding Knives' books by Dr. Darom. Shhhhh!!!! I *might* just rekindle his flame!

Coop

(BTW--Mods: what's your take?)

Old 04-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Skilled

I couldn't find the bowie on Wayne's page. Could you post a URL?
Old 04-01-2003, 01:23 PM

Gaben,

Look here:
http://www.bewellweb.com/k40683b/otherknivesindex.html

Coop

Old 04-01-2003, 04:30 PM
Guru

Wow! Take a few days off and see what appears

Those are gorgeous knives Jim and I love the whole story that goes with them. I hope you do track down some more Hill Pearce knives and show them to us.

The style of those knives is very Mediterranean, but the workmanship is so much cleaner than anything I've seen in person from the Med. There are definite individual touches that say 'Mediterranean influences' rather than being firmly following the Mediterranean styles. The Spanish notches are very individual as are two of the handles. Yes, the blade shapes are like the Mediterranean daggers but then they're also like some Sheffield cutlery-handled Bowies or 'mountain man' knives. It looks to me like Mr Pearce just knew a good design when one popped into his head

That newest addition is amazing. The ferrule (if I should call it that) and the fluted ivory look to be as good as anything being turned out today. What filework too....

Roger

Old 04-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I am a lucky guy, indeed. Whatdya think
yes indeed, jim. congratulations on the new addition (by the way, how is fatherhood treating you ). those are some exquisite pieces.
thanx for the show & the story.

Old 06-11-2003, 03:26 AM
Hall of Famer

One more time, back to the top. This one is too good to be allowed to drift far. Thanks Coop! The middle one is my favorite, my ideal, my muse.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Living Legend

Pearce certainly can trip the knife trigger, eh? Good gosh that guy had a style all his own. Love his work. Too bad he quit.

Coop, I am both happy for you and jealous a bit. I am glad, though, that you have done the hard homework to search these out, and have elected to share them with us through your photography. Thanks!

Tags
art knife, blade, forging, knife, knife making, knives