MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 03-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Guru

Air Vacuum Pump @ harbor freight

Hi all,

Don't know if it will work for stabalizing or not, but harbor freight has a vacuum pump that they claim will create a vacuum level of 28" mercury @ sea level. It is intended for air conditioners. When I was in this weekend, it was on sale for $10, so I thought I would pick one up and try. I haven't used it yet, just thought I would let other know. Here's a link to the site with the description:
harbor Freight

--Carl
Old 03-14-2003, 09:25 AM
Guru

I don't want to sound negative but if I were you I would save my money. I have one that I made the same mistake as you on. It's still new in the box. If you want it, it's yours for the price of shipping.

Gary
Old 03-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Master

Hi Carl,
Surplus center has a single stage Robinair vacuum pump that will pump down to 20 microns of mercury for $230. One of these, a bell jar, and a pressure vessel and you're set for stabilizing that you can be sure will make full penetration. This is the set up I'm going with, now I'm just trying to find a good price on a vacuum gauge.

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 03-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Guru

Thanks all,

I want to get set up to do my own stabalizing, but we are about to move (hopefully to include a shop and get me out of the garage), so it looks like it may wait just a while (same with a belt grinder, files will have to keep working for now). I have a number of different materials I want to try, some of which I want to get stabalized. I have a good size piece of Oregon Myrtle wood that I picked up before I left Oregon at an estate sale. Still had the tag on it from when the guy bought it over 50 yrs ago. It appears to be in good shape. I also bought a mammoth tusk a while back that is intended for handles. Just have to get my bandsaw set up and then get a stabalizing set up.

Thanks for all the info,
--Carl
Old 03-15-2003, 10:39 PM
Steel Addict

I am just getting my set up working .

I first was using a hand pump, brake bleeder , that one draws about 25" hg or so , but you have to keep pumping for a while . once all the air is out it stabilizes and holds a vacuum well.

But I killed it sucking up finish into it, the valve was done.

So I pulled the guage off it, bought a Gast diaphram pump off ebay for $28 and am in the process of doing my second batch of scales. The first were lacy sheoak, this batch is maple burl. I am doing mine slow, the wood stays submerged in minwax clear poly for a week. I usually release and reapply the vaccuum a couple times a day. It draws 25"hg and usually about day 4 there is no more bubbles coming out of the wood, so I'd say its saturated to the max. I am letting it dry for a week as well before I start working with it.

I will post some results in the tool forum in a week or two once I have tried out the sheoak. I think next will be lacewood.

see ya

Check out ebay, under "vacuum pump" there are a mess of them.

see ya
Old 03-16-2003, 04:22 PM
Guru

Just checked ebay to surf a little and see what is out there. On the first page was the harbor frieght pump w/ 5 bids. Current price is $20.50 for the $10 new pump. Got to love e-bay.

BTW--Thanks for the info, I shop e-bay sometimes, but allways forget to check for new stuff I'm interested in.

--Carl

Tags
forge