MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Enthusiast

Ray, I'm soliciting so non-stop here that I made need a bailbondsman. In total agreement with your advice. This evening I taped up the blade and hotglued 1/4" balsa scales to it then started sanding down to shape. The overall 5/8" thickness feels good in the hand but that much volume, to my eye, throws the knife out of balance. I'll keep thinning and shaping until it feels and looks right then mic it.

Next step will be to cut a practice knife blank out of aluminum, make a prototype set of bolsters out of brass and some scales from red bay that I have from my yard. Once I've figured out what works, and more importantly, what don't, I'll move on to the real stuff.

What's going to be especially interesting is figuring out how to shape the inner face of the snakewood scales to match the tapered tang.

Ken W.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:53 AM
Enthusiast

Been slowly making progress on this knife build. Thought I'd post an update to get some feedback.

I ended up "splitting the difference" on the type of pinning for both the bolsters and scales. The blade blank was predrilled with 3 pairs of 1/8" pinning holes so I've done a "semiblind" pinning using 1/8" SS tube blind pins with 1/16" brass rod running through them as full pins peened and epoxied in place. I'm thinking that approach, combined with a high grade epoxy will boots shear strength and still give me cosmetic results that allow the Mokume and snakewood to show their stuff with minimal distraction.

After struggling to get a perfect dovetail match on the forward bolster/scale face I've decided to go with a straight joint between the scales and pommel end bolsters. Found myself unable to keep everything perfectly aligned for clamping and gluing all the components at one time so I first mounted the front bolsters and once the epoxy cured followed up with the scales. This weekend I'll mount the aft bolsters and begin final shaping down of the scales and buffing everything out. I know mounting the components separately isn't a great idea but it does let me use untinted epoxy for the bolsters and tinted epoxy for the snakewood to help hide my mistakes.

I also ended up with a second pair of scales from the snakewood block so I'm considering using them to make a wooden sheath for the knife, inspired by David Brodziak's beautiful work.

Ken
Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Registered

so how'd th eknife turn out?

Tags
blade, brass, cutlery, damascus, damascus blade, files, full tang, hidden, hunting, kit, knife, knife making, knives, mount, pins, post, press, scales, sheath, supply, tang, teach