MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Steel Addict

Hello from Troutman....

Hi guys. I am new to making knives. Posted my first try in the Newbie section here. I've been using it and I like the shape and size but it doesn't hold an edge very well. Based on some preliminary reading I did I purchased 1095 and used that. I guess I need some 1080 or 1084. Anyway, I live in Troutman which is just about 30 minutes or so north of Charlotte on 77. I'd be willing to work the bellows, sweep the floor, take out the trash or buy lunch if anybody close by has time to teach an older kid any tricks. I promise to ask as many questions as I can and take good notes for when I get back home.

Robb
Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Welcome Robb. I wpold love haveing you hang around. I am moveing and will be setting up a new shop. So it will be a while. Stay in touch and come to the Guild meeting on April 21st. Its in Troy at MCCC.

Last edited by ranger1; 02-20-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Hi Robb,

Welcome to the forum!

If your knife stayed sharp forever, you wouldn't need to make another one.

Keep them coming!!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Master

Send a message via MSN to ArtinNC
Welcome Robb, there are a couple makers close to Davidson maybe they will jump in . Are you forgeing or stock removal?? The steel you picked is ok probably your HT, it will make a big difference.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 PM

Hey Robb, I'm just across I-77 from you in Cleveland. Matter of fact, I was just in Troutman a couple of hours ago eating lunch. I'm a rank beginner myself, and I have no skill what-so-ever to share but you're more than welcome to come over and hit some stuff. I've got a smally propane forge and a big charcoal one and an anvil, so bring over some steel and we'll try our best to screw something up.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks guys!

Andy, thanks for the invite. I will definitely stay in touch. I was wondering when the next Guild meeting would be, thanks for that info. Do I need to do anything or just show up?

Art, I am using stock removal. I heated the blade in charcoal until it was non-magnetic. It wasn't as bright as I anticipated but the spine checked non-magnetic so I plunge quenched it parallel to the canola oil cutting edge first, straight in. Held it there until it cooled, then cleaned off the black (which I figured was charred oil) with a scothbrite pad and then put it in my kitchen oven at 400 degrees for an hour. The oven was not preheated though I put it in and let it come up to temp, then timed the hour after it preheated. It came out a dark blue. I haven't done any type of edge testing. How far off am I in method for 1095?

Jon, we gotta get together! I am in Cleveland every weekday at that big place on hwy 70 with the guard shack and solar panels out front! You know the one I am talking about.... I am in the old ALF building on the west side.

Robb
Old 02-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Robb just show up. Good people a bunch of info.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:59 AM

Oh yeah, I know exactly where you're talking about. I live right behind there off of Third Creek Church Rd. I work in Statesville, though so we're bypassing each other every day. I've got an old training partner that lives in Mooresville that just getting into knifesmithing too. Maybe we can all get together at the house one weekend here soon and work on a few things.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Steel Addict

Welcome Robb! Your heat treat should work OK for 1080 or 1084 but 1095 needs a more controlled environment and a fast oil. If you have more of that 1095 get a few more blades ready and I'll help you get them heat treated properly.

Proud member of PETA....People Eating Tasty Animals
There is a place for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks BarryC. I will get them ready and look you up. I doodled out a little knife (my second try) and made the mistake of showing it to a couple buddies. One is a collector who said "Make me one just like it but don't worry about sharpening it." The other one is a LEO and started giving me suggestions on how to make "HIS" better. I will post a pic when I get a chance.

Robb
Old 02-20-2012, 05:34 PM

Robb,

I'm Cory and I work up at freightliner also. ( offline crc) I live in Mooresville near the drag strip, You are welcome to come to my little shop.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Steel Addict

Hey Cory, thanks. I will try to get over to CRC and say hello.

Robb

Tags
anvil, blade, collector, edge, forge, guard, heat treat, knife, knives, newbie, post, sharpening, steel, teach