MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Living Legend

Been Gone For A Bit

Hello all,

Haven't been around much. Gotten tied up in a bunch of stuff in life and let a lot of online stuff go except for some quick things here and there. Even most of my hobbies have gone to the side lately. Haven't been in the shop for over 6 months and than only sporadic. Haven't really fired up the smoker in as long. Haven't even sat down to my thread arts (blackwork and bobbin lace) which I use to use to relax.

It has been one of those times in life when things start to slowly build up and next thing you noticed is that you have no life left. My wake-up call was candy season. Each year I make a lot of candy for family and friends. In my case it was the Reserves. I got both promoted and moved into a new unit. Walked into an admin position and over the last year I ended up working 10-20 hours each week between the "one weekend a month" drills. The killer came when I worked 5 days of my vacation with my in-laws over Thanksgiving. I came back to the unit and asked to be released from the position as I was working hard but not getting what needed to be done. I was the wrong type of person for the position. I am a technical expert in the various fields I was in charge of but what they needed was a butt kicker to get the sailors in-line.

Finally got them to listen (took me running a chit requesting to be released to join the Guard) and I have stepped down. Funny thing about all this is that Sunday I received my yearly eval and I got slapped down big time. All that work and never even recognized. Goes to show you that the job is never worth giving up your life or what is important in it.

Hopefully you guys will be seeing me around here more in the future.

Jim

Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

No good deed goes unpunished, apparently. Welcome back, Jim. Merry Christmas and go make a knife ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Some times you just have to do what you have to do. The Reserves can be a bear. I didn't have it anything like you evidently had it but I did end up taking a CPR Instructor course so that I could teach my unit and payed for it out of my pocket. It did help me get a job later but there were more headaches than acknowlegemts.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Doug (HM1-retired)

Old 12-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Steel Addict

All We Can Do Is The Best We Can, and know our own limits.
Never sacrifice our beliefs or true friends
Always hold a true course, and man the sails, and the weather be Da*ned.

A old navy buddy told me that a lot of years ago, not sure what it means, but maybe you can make sense out of it.

Welcome back!

Jeff
Old 12-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Hi Jim,

Good to see you here--I was just thinking about you the other day when I was rearranging some equipment and came across the push dagger you made for one of the KITHs several years ago.

I haven't been around much either--I have 2 small boys now and then there's that work thing.

Nathan
Old 12-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

I was kinda wondering what happened to you. Most of us probably go through one of those excessive stress periods and have to sort out what is really important in our lives. Welcome back, amigo!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Living Legend

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm out in the shop the last couple days just for spite. Had some vacation time to burn before the end of the year. Hopefully will have something to post in a week or so.

Jim

Old 12-23-2011, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Jim,

No matter how long you're gone for, this will always be your home-away-from-home and your extended family!!

I also know about 10 people in a shop/warehouse in Georgia that think you're about the greatest thing since Chocolate & Habenero. I thought Christmas was a time for peace and love, but I found out that it's a time for a fist fight over candy!!!

You're the best, Jim, and we love you!!!

Alex

PS - For you guys that don't know, "Chocolate & Habenero" is a Russian Roulette type of game that Jim invented with homemade candy. His candy is so good that there are no losers, except for one unlucky guy the next day.

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Living Legend

Actually there are 2 hot pepper ones this year. The Dirty Irishman is a Ghost pepper flavored one. Not as hot as the habanero but the heat sneaks up on you after it is too late.

Enjoy.

Jim

Tags
christmas, guard, knife, post, teach