MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:11 PM
Registered

Help Identifying Vintage Leverlock?

Hello! I have just discovered this forum and and looking forward to digging through and learning/sharing with y'all but today I have a bit of a query.

Little background; I have been a hobbyist level blacksmith for a year or so now and focus mainly on chefs knives (my day job). I received a knife from a family member that stumbled upon in storage and assumed I would know what to do with it.

I cannot for the life of me discover much beyond the following:

Frieder Herdr A.S. "Constant" stamped on the blade.
Appears to be a leverlock, missing leaf spring and....?
Late 1800s-early 1900s

I speak german fairly well so I emailed Frieder Herdr and was directed to a very enthusiastic however not helpful knife collector here in the states.

Here are some photos of the blade in question.

Ultimately, I would love to attempt restoring it to working order but as I work mainly with culinary knives, I have a bit of research to do before I feel comfortable.

Any help ID'ing or working out the typical function of the spring mechanism would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-28-2020, 12:56 PM

That's an old folding knife.

I found a folding knife restoration video. I don't know if it would be of much help but here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/td1CmkUEfpQ

Tags
bee, blacksmith, blade, ca, collector, folding, folding knife, forging, gallery, german, identifying, knife, knives, mechanism, question, video, vintage, youtube