MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 05-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast

Something Different

As the title suggests this knife was something different for me and my first time working with carbon fiber. The customer approached me about wanting a larger camp knife with out the extra weight and without decreasing performance so I came up with this. The spine is 1/4 in thick (as per customers request) and has a tapered full tang that reduces to slightly under 1/8 inch. The tang was also skeletonized by drilling out holes throughout and then hollow grinding the tang to further reduce weight. The knife was also given a high flat grind to also decrease weight. The steel is Aldo's 1084 and I clayed it to achieve a hamon. The customer requested that I place the flint striker notch on the blade its self as opposed to on the ricasso or another area. Because the temper was going to be effected anyway I only hardened the blade up to the striker notch.

The final weight of the knife came to 7.5 ounces which for a 1/4 inch thick spine and 12 inch long knife I think is not too bad. It could have been made lighter but I think this will do the task.

As always thank you for looking and all comments, questions, and critiques welcome.

Robert

Old 05-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Steel Addict

Really good looking blade, nice hamon and at 7.5 oz. what's not to like...
Old 05-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Skilled

Looks like a great camp knife. Well done Sir. The carbon fiber adds a modern element to the rustic look if the forged blade. I really like it.

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Tags
1084, bee, blade, camp knife, carbon, flat, flat grind, flint, forged, forged blade, full tang, grinding, hamon, knife, made, notch, steel, tang, temper