MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:30 PM

3 phase motor/ vfd / phase converter question

Hi all, first post here.
I have read the other 2 posts about 3 phase, and vfd and have questions.
I was given a Baldor 3hp 3 phase motor, i intend to build a KMG style grinder and use this to power it.
My question is, which is better, a static phase converter, or a VFD ? i got the impression that the vfd was better but didn't quite understand. is this a speed control as well as a phase converter?
I want to use a variable speed controller, can i do this with a static converter?
Thanks, George
Old 11-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Guru

George,get the VFD, static phase converters suck.The phase converter would also not give you variable speed without adding something else .All this can be accomplished with a VFD.You will need a single phase input with three phase output and probably one rated at 5 hp would be best.I don't know where you will be picking up the VFD but make sure you get a manual, you will need it to set your parameters to operate the motor.The wiring is easy.I hope this helps.Good luck. Dave
Old 11-11-2006, 03:19 PM

Dave, thanks! that is what i was trying to understand. I am not an electrician, so i have been reading all the posts i can on the subject. The articles i have read seem to be described for journeymen to masters level.
George
Old 11-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
static phase converters suck.
In my opinion, this couldn't have been said any better. Especially if you are talking about "Phase-a-matic" phase convertors. Those devices are a simple capacitor circuit used to start the 3ph motor. Once the motor is started, the phase convertor drops out and the 3ph motor runs on a single phase. ...making 1/3 of its rated hp. "Phase-a-matic" promotes their products with less than accurate claims.

On the other hand...a VFD generates 3phase power that the motor runs on...all 3 legs all the time. Some are analog and others use micro-processors. They also offer motor protection in terms of monitoring the power output to the motor with programmable shut-off faults when the motor is overloaded. They monitor the motor speed and adjust thier output to keep the motor running at the selected speed.

Yes a VFD is a speed control. It varies the AC frquency to change the speed of the AC motor. VFD stands for Variable Frequency Drive. Even if you don't need speed control, a VFD would be a better choice over a static phase convertor for running your 3ph motor at a constant speed....and it will cost more as well.

Good luck with your project.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:57 PM

Rob; I wish i could purchase one of your amazing machines!! It's the crawl before you walk thing. Thanks for the input. George
Old 11-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Guru

Rob, you are truely a stand-up guy. Not many folks out there are so helpful to people who can't buy their stuff. Guess that's why you'll stay successful with folks in the community.

Back to the topic!

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 11-12-2006, 07:07 AM
Steel Addict

I'm truly a "shop-guy" at heart. I love machinery, tools and gadgets.

Selling belt grinders is just my day job.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:33 AM
Steel Addict

Rob,

I'm trying to help a tool & die maker with his Hardinge Precision Lath. He is running a phase convertor on it now (1 1/2 hp 3-phase). The lath has it's own variable speed dials (and two speed gear box) and there are two other motors down stream... one AC and one DC, both 1/4 hp. Can a VFD be used in a situation like this?