MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Master

That's a pretty nice shop Teddy! Looks like you've got a fair share of tools too

My shop is as follows. Cutting and rough grinding is done at work. Forging equipment is in dads back yard, grinding sanding and drilling is in his garage, the little odds and ends are done on my apparent deck in the summer and on my kitchen table in the winter.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsmithy View Post
I am in the process of setting up the "dirty" part of knifemaking in the garage. This includes the big grinders and saws. Four or 5 years ago my wife and I had to down-size our house due to her disabilities (no steps) and my retirement. Well, the economy tanked and I couldn't retire till last June and this is the way my shop turned out. It is still a work in progress, but I'll have the knife shop set up in the garage this week. Woo-hoo- I can begin to make knifes.

http://s1258.beta.photobucket.com/us...ary/New%20shop

This is a link to my album pictures. I hope it works...cause I think I finally figured out posting. ...Teddy
Looks like you have a few dollars tied up in that shop! I am going to the Kansas City Gem And Mineral Show this weekend and am going to look for some spacer material and also anything I can use as a knife scale made of stone. Any words of wisdom you can bestow upon me about working on minerals and wjat I might look for?

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmaduro View Post
Looks like you have a few dollars tied up in that shop! I am going to the Kansas City Gem And Mineral Show this weekend and am going to look for some spacer material and also anything I can use as a knife scale made of stone. Any words of wisdom you can bestow upon me about working on minerals and wjat I might look for?

Tony Z
If you want just scales...one of the jade's would work. The jade that comes from Alaska is good. If you want to "inlay" knife scales, softer stones like turquoise, of malachite , even ivory, with great results.
I feel that "inlaying" stone in knives is the safest way to go for the knifes usability without problems of chipping, etc. ...Teddy
Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmaduro View Post

Tony Z

Tony...it's all about the Moh's scale of hardness. This scale grades the "hardness" of various stones.

Then, the part I haven't done, find woods with comparable hardness so that stone and wood cut at same rate. You will have to do this fitting wet to prevent heat buildup in the stone. You will become an expert soon after burning your first piece ... Teddy
Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
That's a pretty nice shop Teddy! Looks like you've got a fair share of tools too

My shop is as follows. Cutting and rough grinding is done at work. Forging equipment is in dads back yard, grinding sanding and drilling is in his garage, the little odds and ends are done on my apparent deck in the summer and on my kitchen table in the winter.
Forging equipment...you have access to forging equipment????? I'm jealous...but it may be coming ...Teddy
Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsmithy View Post
Forging equipment...you have access to forging equipment????? I'm jealous...but it may be coming ...Teddy
Dad and I have three coal forges and 5 anvils. Eventually I want to forge all of my knives but the summer months are to short! So I was thinking of just forging a bunch of blanks in the summer and finishing them in the winter.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Skilled

Thanks Teddy, i figured you could enlighten me on stonework. Much appreciated.

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 03-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Steel Addict

Here it is inside and out

Last edited by fuzzy; 04-01-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Tags
angle, art, back, battery, bee, blade, blower, forging, grinding, ivory, knife, knifemaking, knives, made, make, making, material, post, scales, spacer, stone, tools, wood