MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 05-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to krept
Need burner mounting ideas (freon tank forge)...

I have most of the components needed to finish my freon tank forge. The burner I'm using is a T-Rex. Only thing that I'm missing really is a way to mount the burner to the freon tank.

The problem... I don't have welding equipment.

What I have considered using so far: cutting a hole in the forge shell and using steel or iron pipe (to act as a sleeve) that is just a little larger in diameter than the burner flare. The pipe will extend probably .5" into the forge and about 2-3" outside the forge. Thumb screws can be added to secure the burner, but I might just use heavy duty spring pinchers that are used on some weightlifting bars (no tapping holes will be necessary).

I was wondering if something like JB Weld could be used to secure the sleeve to the forge body. I plan to coat inside the tank where the sleeve/tank interface is with refractory cement on the inside, which will then be covered with 2" of ceramic blanket and that will be coated with ITC-100.

At this point, I'm wondering if:

A) the weld will be strong enough to support the weight of the burner.

B) if the heat from the chamber will be too great even though it is insulated and will degrade the weld.

I am also wondering if a piece of metal to act as a washer between the pipe and the outside of the forge is necessary. On Ron Reil's site, I saw that he did this but I have no idea where to get the washer from and if it is even necessary outside of aesthetics.

If JB Weld will not work, do I have any other options besides hunting someone down with welding equipment? One final thing I was considering is that the T-Rex might be a good enough burner to reach brazing temperatures... i.e. if I get some flux and brass rod, I'm willing to give that a shot.

Spending an additional $100++ for even a junk welding setup is just not an option right now and probably won't be for months.

THANKS for any tips or suggestions, they are appreciated!

Cheers,
Erik

"Pressure makes diamonds" - Patton

Last edited by krept; 05-11-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Guru

I have a page showing the construction of my latest forge without the use of a welding machine. Even with refractory, a forge shell will get ~600+*F. More than hot enough to screw up epoxy based materials.

http://www.100megsfree3.com/kragaxe/Furnaces.html
Go to "propane forge II"

I'll fix the last set of pics on the site tonight. I just used som angle brackets with screws to hold the tube on. I went back and welded everything up...but I didn't have to.

Last edited by Don Halter; 05-11-2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Living Legend

You could drill a hole in the shell right next to the burner hole and stick a bolt up from the inside, put a nut on the outside and tighten. Then mount your burner with a hose clamp around the burner and the bolt.

Your refractory will protect the head of the bolt inside the forge.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to krept
Thumbs up

Awesome guys, this was a case of me not seeing the forest for the trees. Thanks for the tips, didn't even think of screws or bolts. Will look forward to those photos.

THANKS again and cheers,
Erik

"Pressure makes diamonds" - Patton

Tags
forge