MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Steel Addict

Talking My first experience with 01 (now with pic)

My take on 01 tool steel? This stuff is amazing! Especially during heat treat. I heated the blade just a bit past non magnetic quenched it, let it air cool then put it in the oven for two hour long cycles on 415 degrees wrapped in tin foil and it came out a straw color with some purple and dark blue inclusions in places.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Actually this is a bad pic, the straw color and purples are much more prominent than this shows.

Wow, this stuff sure beats the heck out of straightening leaf springs which may or may not be 5160. But it's a lot more expensive too, 3 feet of ground 01 for $31.50. What other steels have these properties but are a little cheaper?

Last edited by Hurley; 11-05-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

QUOTE: What other steels have these properties but are a little cheaper?

You already know the answer Keith: good ol' 1084

Pretty colors don't make a good blade though. Finish up the O1 blade to the point where you can test it and compare to a 1084 blade that you made. O1 is definitely a better steel for blades but you won't get the best from it using a forge. So, test and compare and see if what you do get is worth the extra expense ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Steel Addict

"test it and compare to a 1084 blade that you made" um I haven't made a 1084 blade yet, Aldo is out, at least last I checked. I know, see Kelly Cupples...........what's his website? I ran a file over it and it brushed right off

Old 11-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Kelly doesn't have a website, he has a phone number: 509-949-5231

O1 is a great blade steel, probably my overall favorite. Yes, it got hard and will probably make a very serviceable blade. O1 is so good that almost anything you do to it for heat treatment will make some kind of blade. What I am saying is that it has the capacity to be much better than anything you're likely to get it to be using a forge. Great now perhaps, but even better when you have the ability to control the temperatures better (electric furnace or salt pots). But, as you pointed out, it is pretty expensive for an (almost) simple carbon steel. So, that's why I suggest the results you get with O1 in your forge to the results you get with 1084 (if you had any). Might be better but maybe not enough better to justify the extra expense. I think you told me in the Chat Room that someone gave you the O1 and that's great but that probably won't happen every time you need steel ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Steel Addict

Aldo has .156 1084, mine measured .177. Makes some nice blade and not to bad on price. But now that I know that Kelly is so close, A trip to Yakima is in order. I hear he carries parks50 also.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Steel Addict

No I did buy my 01, got it at a discounted price, but still kinda high compared to a 10- steel. Also started grinding the edge (just a few passes) to get the feel for 1095. I like it too. Might have to invest in some parks 50 and buy some.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Steel Addict

octihunter@charter.net
Here's Kelly's email.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Naboyle!

Old 11-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Skilled

Keith, send Kelly an email and ask for his price list and available steels. He will send that to you email and he is a great guy to deal with. Order a qty over $100 and shipping is free (that means more knives!). That is what I do. I order mainly 5160 from him. And these are bars that are straight, no need to straighten! He also sent me the steel first with an invoice and then I paid him once I received shipment. He takes checks. No credit cards or Paypal.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 11-05-2013, 10:15 PM

Bought some 1084 (.140) from Admiral today. 1" and 2" wide
Old 11-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Steel Addict

I have started using 01 almost exclusively for my stock removal knives. I buy it precision ground in 1/8 inch.
I have used 1080, 1084, and 1095, but they almost always need straightening as they come delivered. With stock removal I've found that straightening before working is an extra step that I really don't want to do............just my opinion.
Precision ground is really nice for folders, a little expensive for straight blades.
If I want to clay harden and leave a nice hamon I still go back to the 10 series steels as they do have a more noticeable quench line than 01.
Kevin.

Tags
1084, 1095, 5160, back, blade, blades, edge, file, forge, grinding, hamon, harden, heat, heat treat, knife, knives, made, make, quenched, simple, steel, stock removal