MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:23 PM

Blade show recommendations

Looks like I will be able to go to the Blade show in Atlanta this year. Where does everybody stay. The hotel that has the show seems really pricey, are there alternatives close by. I will not have a table but plan on bringing a few pieces just for conversation purposes. Will that be okay? Is there a contingent from Ontario heading down? Needless to say this was a wonderful present from my wife. With two little ones at home it hasn't been possible up to this point to get away but she decided she could handle it this year if I was away for 5 days.
Thanks
Steve

Old 03-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Steel Addict

I won't be going this year, but have always stayed in the Embassy Suites across the street, well, across and over a block. Room rates are lower and it's still situated where I can park the car and walk everywhere I need to go.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Steel Addict

We stay at the Embassy.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
The Sheraton Suites (right across the street) is where a lot of us have stayed in the past, however, after checking and finding that their rates have gone up $30 per night more than they were last year, Steve Kelly and I are staying at the Double Tree, which is about a mile away. After adding up the costs its cheaper for us to stay there and rent a car than it is to stay at the Sheraton and walk.

I've heard that a lot of the regulars (at least ABS members) will not be doing the show this year....blaming it on the economy.

I got my show package about a week ago, but was surprised to find that it did not include a table assignment. I've left a couple of phone messages, as well as emailed requesting that info, but have received no responses yet. I'll be honest, I've had a decent table location for the last 6+ years, but every year have asked to be moved closer to the front of the ABS section.....I've already heard that several individuals have gotten tables that are nearer the front than mine....and I will be pretty upset if the new folks who are running the show drop the ball on my request.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-14-2009, 05:02 AM
Skilled

I recently called Blade because I would like to start doing the show. I waited about a week and no response. I then emailed them and within hours they got back to me. They immediately offered me a table for this year. I cant do it this year so I had to decline but Steve if you are thinking of going I don't think you'll have much problem getting a table if you would want one.

http://www.kirbysknives.com/index.php
Old 03-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Skilled

Hey Ed, what rate did the Sheraton give you, mine is $112 which is up only a few $ from last year.

I too asked to be moved up if spaces are available, but I am still in the same place as last year. The table assignment was on the invoice that they sent out in early Feb.

If they are moving new people into open spots and leaving everyone else where they used to be, they are going to have a lot of angry people. I certainly don't expect to be moved to the front row, but I would like to think that there was an opportunity to work your way closer to the front as the years went by.

Brian

Old 03-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Hey Brian.....thats exactly my point....every year I have asked to be moved up, not only on my table application, but through emails and via phone conversations. I am already aware of a couple of individuals who have been moved up that have not been going to the show nearly as long as I have......I'll be one of those angry people if my table position isn't better than where I have been.

As far a the hotel rate, I was getting a military discount previously....this year they would not honor it (when I asked for my government/military rate, it was higher than the standard rate), plus the standard rate had increased over last year.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Atlanta is where a lot of soldiers arrive when coming back from deployment. It wouldn't surprise me if the hotels are taking advantage of them and their families.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:52 PM

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. It was full of knifemakers and they offered a shuttle to the show (just a few blocks away).

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 03-27-2009, 03:21 PM

Embassy Suites is where my wife and I stayed last year and where we're staying this year. Used to use the Sheraton Suites, but grew dissatisfied as the level of service went down and the price went up.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
I refuse to stay at the main hotel because it is a Marriot product and Marriot doesn't like guys likeme (smokers) I stayed at the Sheraton a couple of years ago, but it has gotten pricey. I guess they figured out who allof those rednecks were that dropped by every year..lol. Last year, I stayed at the Hampton and this year, I am at the Doubletree. This Doubletree is apparently an all suite hotel that Hilton took over recently, so they were offering some very attractive rates...about 60% of the open rate and the main hotel or the Sheraton and maybe $15 or 20 a night less that Hampton. Bottom line is once you are away from the Waverly or the Sheraton, you have to drive anyway and there is no shortage of hotels in the area.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT
Hey Ed, what rate did the Sheraton give you, mine is $112 which is up only a few $ from last year.

I too asked to be moved up if spaces are available, but I am still in the same place as last year. The table assignment was on the invoice that they sent out in early Feb.

If they are moving new people into open spots and leaving everyone else where they used to be, they are going to have a lot of angry people. I certainly don't expect to be moved to the front row, but I would like to think that there was an opportunity to work your way closer to the front as the years went by.

Brian
More bad news, Brian. I think your table backs up to mine I wish that I could have found that $112 rate for the Sheraton. When I checked it out, they were quoting like $165!!!!!! It is a fairly long stumble from The Pit, but it is still a walk........or crawl that you can make at night.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

I was fortunate enough to be able to stay at my sister's place a bit north of town, but I found Atlanta fairly easy to navigate and had no problem with parking.

Tags
blade, knife