MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 11-11-2013, 01:51 AM
Steel Addict

snake wood fighter

This is a knife that I decided to make, to brush up on my double grinding skills. I am getting ready to make a lovless style big bear out of damascus, so I thought that it might be a good idea to practice a little first.
about 12" overall. Made with 1/4" mirror polished 5160 with all stainless fittings, and some great snake wood I got from a buddy of mine. Sorry about the crappy pics, i'm having trouble with my photo editer program.
Enjoy!!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Skilled

I love the pics and also love 5160. Definitely mirror polished! Can I ask what your sanding/buffing sequence is for getting that mirror finish? 220, 320, 400 to what grit? What color of compounds do you buff with? Much thanks for great pics of a great knife!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks!!! The way that I do it is I do all of my rough grinding with a sharp 36 grit ceramic belt, I like the gold ones from pops. Then I will go over it with a dull 50 grit belt, because it is a pain to try to get those deep 36 grit marks out. Then I jump to an A45 trizact belt, they are the gator structured abrasive belts. I think the A45 is somthing like 360 grit. Then I'll move on to an A30 gator belt, or 600 grit. after that I hit it with a well broke in 600 grit cork belt. at this point you can mirror polish it on the buffer, or you can take it up to an 800 grit cork first. either will work. I use the green buff compound for all of the major buffing and then a few passes with the white scratchless. I follow the same basic pattern when I finish the handles too, except I use regular AO belts instead of the gator belts. they tend to clog up when used on wood and other softer stuff. Just remember be patient and make sure that you have all of the scratches from the grit before out before you move on to the next one. Go slow, it will be worth it when you get that high polished blade that you have been after. I hope this helps with your question.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the info! I have never used a cork belt before. Do you load those with buffing compound?

I have been taught using the belts to 220 grit, then hand sand to 400 or 600. I have never mirror polished anything. But I intend to try everything! Much thanks!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 11-12-2013, 01:16 AM
Steel Addict

Yeah it takes some time to condition the cork before you can really use it the way it is intended. there is nothing wrong with hand sanding, it just takes more time. The reason I use the gator belts is because they have a raised surface, like a 36 grit belt. If you go from a thick 36 grit belt and then jump to a really thin 400 grit ao belt the radius of your contact wheel changes slightly. But enough to make it so the grinds don't match. You really should try to mirror polish a blade, although some steels will not take a high polish like s30v. I have found that tool steels like the 10 series and most other plain carbon steels take a great polish near that of say cpm154. Just get your blade up to a dull 600 grit finish weather by hand or any other way, and use the green buff compound and you should with a little time be able to get a great polish on your knife.

Tags
5160, bee, blade, damascus, fighter, grinding, hand, knife, made, make, mirror, pattern, polish, sand, sharp, stainless, surface, white, wood