MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Guru

High temp Paint on forge body

hey guys i asked this question in a older thread with no answer i think maybe no one following that thread so......In the process of moving the location of the burner on the forge body there were spots where i had to weld a plate over old hole and grinded down the area to put new tube that holds burner in place i had grinded down alot of spots for this so since it was so much i figured i am better off just grinding it everywhere to take paint off and re paint it. I found some high temp paint but i didn't realize till i got home that after it dries it has to be cured. The instructions say to bake it in a oven at 350 degrees for 30 mins then let it cool for 30 mins then repeat that for 400 degrees and 500 degrees. Now i do not have a oven to put it in (with out dealing with some serious BS for a while, not worth it) Has any one out there done this. Is there another way to cure it ? You think maybe running the forge in short intervals like when you apply coatings to the inside of the forge? It doesnt have to be perfect at all i just want it to stand up to the heat (wich cant be all that high being on the outside of the forge, body, handle,feet) and i just want it to protect from rust and stuff like that. That is the main reason for re painting it. I might have a option, my friend said he thinking about it but maybe he will let me do it in his oven (he lives by himself so no one to yell at him) But i did read some where that its not sugested to do in a oven that you would also cook in. But it didnt say why so i dont want to poisin this guys some how. Any one know why? This might not be a option anyway i dont know yet. Any one that has done this or has knoledge on this topic i would really appreciate and advice or tips. As i said it dont have to be perfect just withstand heat on outide of body and protect from rust and stuff like that. THANKS

Tags
advice, angle, apply, bee, burner, degrees, forge, grinding, hand, handle, hardware, heat, home, knife, made, make, ore, paint, profile, spray, store, tips, tools, weld, wood