MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-05-2001, 10:18 PM
Lezerd

I'm absolutly a newbie and don't know what i need

like I said I'm an absolute newbie at this and I need some guidance. I plan on forging blades but I'm not sure of what I need to do this.

I have a forge (well in pieces anyway) and I have 1 hammer
so any guidance of what I need for tools and what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-05-2001, 11:17 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Welcome!
What kind of forge do you have?
You will need an anvil,tongs,gloves,and something to beat the crap out of.
Also very understanding neighbors.

I do mostly stock removal,but have been playing with forging some here lately,so I won't be too much help but there will be someone along before long that can.

Many of our members are tied up with the 'Blade Show' so just hang around things will pick up soon.
Old 06-06-2001, 05:16 PM
Lezerd

The forge I'm building myself it's going to be made of a tire rim and the air source will be from a hair dryer (will that be enough air for it?) I'll be using charcoal for the fuel.

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.

Old 06-06-2001, 06:37 PM
Little Hen Knives

HAHA!! another man joins the "Heat & Beat" crowd..right on!! good fer you!
I forge 95% of my blades in a gas forge but I did start on coal and will use it occasionally.

You will need:
- Tongs of various shapes
- an apron or fire proof coveralls
- steel to forge O-1 is a good starter!!
- an anvil
- a bucket of ashes or Vermiculite for puttin hot stuff in or annealing
- a selection of hammers
- if you plan to do yer own heat treat, you`ll need to get a toaster oven for tempering, oh and a magnet to tell you when yer at critical temp
- oil, if you want to heat treat that O-1
- cut off hardey...very handy

some of this stuff is not neccessary but makes life easier!!

E-mail me if you have any questions.

Have fun!!
Old 06-06-2001, 10:46 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Lezerd,
That hair dryer will be "more than" enough!Start using it on the slowest setting.
I would also suggest a good high heat thermometer (to make sure the oven is getting to heat)and "Tempilaq" in the heat range for what ever metal you do decide to use.
I love 0-1(too grind),but I would suggest something a little easier to start with such as 5160 of something along those lines.AGAIN I SAY I AM NEW TO THE FORGING STUFF TOO so this is just my two cents.

Let us know if we there is anything else we may be able to help you with.

Mike K

Old 06-07-2001, 04:58 AM
Bob Warner

Safety Glasses.
Fire extinguisher.
Boots not tennis shoes.
Bucket of water to stick you burning body part in if you get a hot piece on you (see boots not tennis shoes).
I wear a glove on my left hand to avoid burns and have hammer in right hand.
Find a way to regulate the airflow of the dryer. You don't want fast all the time. If you block the flow too much for two long the dryer will burn up or blow it's internal breaker.
Keep the kids away (the animals will leave on their own).
Stand upwind of the fire so you don't have to breath the smoke. This seem like common sense but my first forge was in a fixed location and I was at the mercy of the wind. ut your anvil in a place that allows you access to two sides of the forge without hampering your work.
Beat on cheap steel (Railroad spikes are great, make snakes and RR spike letter openers) until you are good enough to do what you want without burning up your steel.
Find a knifemaker or blacksmith and buy the pizza and drinks (NOT booze) so he will let you hang around when he is forging.

Have fun, have fun, have fun. When it stops being fun, put out the fire and go inside.

Old 06-08-2001, 07:32 PM
Lezerd

for tempering would i need to use something else or could i use my forge? cause i'm low on cash to go and buy something that would cost me a lot of money... so can a forge be used for tempering?
Old 06-09-2001, 12:50 AM
Little Hen Knives

yes you can, it`s alittle tricky but fi you can find the book.."The Hand Forged Knife" by Carl Schroen, he explains knife steels hardening and tempering on a coal forge, to make it short.... put a steel plate over the fire and move the knife over and around the top of the plate till your temper color comes in, somewhere around a straw color for O-1,
I know this prolly doesn`t help much but it`s late here and I just got home from the stock car races and am quite tired, we won the race though...finally!!
Old 06-09-2001, 04:50 AM
Bob Warner

You can heat treat with the forge and temper in your oven in the house. Tempering on the forge is tricky for a person new to forging. The heat changes to fast and sometimes you get it too hot and have to start over.

Again, I'm not sure where your from but if you can locate a blacksmith in your area, you will save a lot of time and greif. If you can't find a blacksmith, keep asking your questions here, collectively all of the people here will get your answers for you.

Put your forge in the shade, it is easier to see the colors. Get a magnet and stick it to the base under the horn of your anvil for testing for critical temp (bonus: it will reduce ringing).

Here is a web site that may help. Remember, you will develop your own style of doing things but at least this is a method that works for one knifemaker. www.expage.com/heattreat

Keep us informed of your progress.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:50 AM
Geno

First thing you NEED, is someone to try to talk you out of it.
This knifemaking is not as easy as it seems.
Besides, once you start, you can't stop.

The ABS is famous for getting people started forging.
The school is in Arkansas,(Texarkana college)

Let it be known that I tried to warn you.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife