MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-03-2001, 04:24 PM
stanwilson

grinder question

Any one have a recomendation for a grinder?I've only got about $500 to spend.I've looked at the Coote $385 and the Pro Cut 2 $499( from Koval knifes )Both are similar in design.Neither comes with a motor and both are limited to one size contact wheel.The grinder that Robert Frink is selling looks real nice and versital,but is $680 without a motor.Any other suggestions would be helpful. thanks
Old 05-03-2001, 04:37 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Stan two things come to mind here.First;get registered bud!!You are welcome to visit and stay.

Second;Email me at <a href="mailto:HANDMADEKNIVES@AOL....ES@AOL.COM</a>
Old 05-03-2001, 06:21 PM
troybrown328

re Grinders

Stan
Try R.W.Wilson He make's a 3 wheel It is a heavy duty. It cost around 800.00 plus shipping.
Troy

Old 05-03-2001, 06:56 PM
Ray Rogers

grinder question

Stan,

Have a look at the Grizzly Knifemakers grinder at www.grizzlyindustrial.com

It's only a 2 wheel but you can use an 8
Old 05-03-2001, 07:36 PM
KandSKNIVES

STAN, GIVE THESE PEOPLE A CALL, I THINK IT ANSWERS YOUR NEEDS FOR AROUND 550.00. COMES WITH 1 HORSE MOTOR, 3450 RPM, 3 INCH DRIVE WHEEL, AND ADJ. MOTOR BASE. IF YOU PREFER, WITHOUT MOTOR FOR 400.00. IT COMES WITH ONLY A SQUARE NOSE ATTACHMENT AND TH S/H IS XTRA. TELL THEM KEN, FROM WACO, SENT YOU.
LOG CABIN FORGE
STAN PARSONS
517-631-3952/ SHOP
517-631-5744/ HOME
Old 05-03-2001, 08:49 PM
MIKE KOLLER

I do believe that you can get a 10in wheel for the Grizly 2x72
Old 05-06-2001, 05:06 PM
Raymond Richard

Stan, First grinder I purchased was the Coote's, I was in the same money situation you are in. Its a good grinder for the price. The time I bought mine it came with either 6",8", or a 10" contact wheel. I think all of them come with the flat grinding attachment. You can step pully it to change speeds. For the amount of money you can spend its the most bang for the buck. As for the motor I wouldn't go for anything under a horse and a half and go with the 1700RPM. 3400RPM is way to fast. Ray

Old 05-06-2001, 09:13 PM
Stan Wilson

Thanks for all the input everyone.I was out of town over the week end and was suprised to find 2 motors sitting on my back porch when I got home.One is a 2hp 3450 rpm,the other is a 5hp 3500 rpm monster,but after reading the previous post they may be a bit fast.
Old 05-06-2001, 10:28 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Get them set-down pulleys and go after it Stan!ounds like the motor fairy (sp) was busy.:-)
Old 05-07-2001, 07:16 AM
Raymond Richard

Stan, try stepping down the 3400. You'll be able to get down to the fastest speed you want to grind with but to slow it down more I'm thinking the wheel will be so big that its in the way. On the Coots grinder the step down wheel is in line with the contact wheel. Ray
Old 05-07-2001, 03:23 PM
Stan Wilson

Thanks again everyone,I've been looking at step pulleys to set this up with 3 or 4 speeds.What range of speeds should I try to acheive
Old 05-07-2001, 04:46 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Stan ,
I know that there are different recommendations for different size buffing wheels but not sure if it also applies to grinding wheels.

As far as speed for grinding wheels!I have read contradicting post as far as speed vs. belt life.It seems to me that if you got below 1750 too much the belts would tend to pull your work using coarse belts.

Just thinking out loud,hope it does not add confusion.
Old 05-07-2001, 05:42 PM
Raymond Richard

Stan, I'm really not sure about speed rpm wise but in order to step the 3400 down you go from small wheel on the motor to larger on the grinder. There's so mathmatics involved their and my peanut is in the off position. I think I'd try to get the speed down to not quite half of the 3400. That should do you for most of your grinding. The finer grit belt the slower you want to go. I guy was trying to sell me a 3400 motor at the last knife show I was at. The guy next to me said you can take the motor into a shop and they can change the speed on them. I'm not sure, but wouldn't hurt to give them a call and find out. The motors that showed up on your back porch are single phase I hope. Ray
Old 05-07-2001, 06:09 PM
BCB27

Guys,

Here is an URL for calculating Surface Feet/Minute. Just for reference, the single speed Wilton runs at 4600
SFM. I usually hog at about 3600 SFM and finish grind at about 1800 SFM.

www.carycorporation.com/d...calculator

Brett
Old 05-26-2001, 10:14 PM
Gary Mulkey

I use the grizzly grinder but couldn't do the hollow grinds that I wanted to so I replaced the platten with an idler making it into a three wheel grinder. I have been very satisfied with the change and can return it to the original configuration in 2-3 minutes when I want to flat grind.

Tags
knife, knives