MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-08-2001, 11:16 PM
kvistads

Patina looking bone?

Gentlemen:

I have made several knives from deer leg bones in the past. Most of these bones I picked up while hunting when I ran across an old kill. The bones were for the most part already somewhat wheathered. After bufffing on a wheel with black compound, they turned out looking fine with several even having some small cracks. They really looked super! The problem now is I have collected a lot of these bones from deer I have harvested the last year or so. Needless to say they don't have a lot of "wheathered" look about them since I dressed the deer myself. Does anybody here have a sure fire answer as to how somebody gets one of these bones to look good and old with some patina look about them?

As always, thanks...
Russell
Old 08-09-2001, 04:26 AM
calvin

bone patina

I have had good results by taking bone and placing it in a hill of fire ants. The ants remove any debris from the bone and the bone begins to bleach and will build some surface patina. Kiwi shoe polish also will help the situation. Just rub it on to acquire the depth you need and then wipe it off.
Old 08-09-2001, 05:02 AM
scotton

patina for bone

I use potassium permannagate or purple chrystals that i have my druggist ordeer for me. i just dissolve these in water until the water is a dark brown color, and then soak the bone in this solution overnite. i think you will like this. Sam
Old 08-09-2001, 09:54 AM
Dana Acker

Re: patina for bone

First rub the entire bone with black shoe polish. Wipe off, then rub on brown shoe polish. Wipe that off and see how you like it. Ages real nice.
Old 08-11-2001, 05:56 AM
kvistads

Thank you for all the information Gentlemen. Calvin, I have used the ant bed routine before being I live in South GA. It's a super way to clean up the bone after boiling.

Scott:
I never used purple crystals but I have certainly heard of it being used before to stain curly maple. I also build custom muzzle loading rifles and use curly maple for stocks. Somewhere I read about using the crystals that way.

Dayna:
I have used the KIWI polish on stacked leather but not on the bone. Sounds like a winner to me. Also would like to commend you on your web site - real nice! You are a true Gentlemen in which I very much admire. Could'nt help but notice the credit you give to all of your friends. They must truly appreciate your friendship - I would! Thanks..

Sincerely,
Russell

Tags
knives