MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

Question Need Help with Heat Treat Oven

I just picked-up an old box furnace for $50 from a friend but it doesn't have a controller. Here's the information on the furnace: it is a Lindberg type 51442 box furnace, 240 volt, max temp 1200 degrees C (2192 degrees F) and it is rated at 4880 watts. Here is a link to their site and a picture of the newer model 51442.

Lindberg Heat Treat Furnace

Interior Dimensions
7.5"x14"x5.25"

Exterior Dimensions
20"x20"x24.5"

Will this work as a heat treat oven? (I know...dumb question) Does anybody have any idea on what I can do for a controller? There is a double wire on one side for the temp gauge that is mounted inside and the three wires for the electricity sticking out the other side. I'm going to call the company this morning to find out if I can get a controller but I'm sure it is going to be more than I can afford right now. Does anybody know if I can use some other type of 240 volt controller? Any ideas on what? Any help is appreciated. Is this a good deal? or should I give it back to him? (he wouldn't take my money until I find out if it will work or not)

I called the company and they gave me a part number for the controller. I then called the distributor and they have the part in stock...in fact it is listed on their Internet page. Problem is they want $2,034 for the unit. OUCH!!!!

So now I'm in the market for any kind of controller or knob that will handle this type of voltage and watts. Any suggestions?????? I can build a unit to hold the items but I don't know what to use. I know that there are members out there who have the grey matter to figure this out or help me so....HELP!!!!!!

In His Service,
Reid Allen
Old 10-10-2006, 01:21 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
First place I'd look is Ebay: http://search.ebay.com/kiln-controll...fkrZ1QQfromZR8

You can probably find something on Ebay that will handle that temp and voltage (and amperage). If you found the unit the manufacturer recommends, perhaps you can get the pertinent information and find an acceptable replacement on Ebay.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 10-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Jamey,
I looked on E-Bay for the controller and for units by the maker but came up empty handed. I knew there had to be other types of controllers I could use but I was coming up blank. The kiln controller looks like it will fill the bill. Thanks for the help.

In His Service,
Reid Allen
Old 10-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You might also look at Ed caffrey's Forum and his website. ed recently got a contrioller off eBay and has a lot of information about how to use it and hook it up. I think his is on his gas forge but a lot of the info will be the same.

It is likely that most any controller you get will handle the voltage etc that you need simply because, if it won't, you can use it to control a relay that will handle it ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Reid,

Typical hookup for a controller in this application is to use the controller to turn a relay on/off and run the power for the heating elements through the relay contacts. In this application the controller is 120 volt (you get 120 volt by using one leg of your 220 and neutral), the coil for the relay is 120 volt and the contacts are rated for at least the voltage/current used for the heating elements. Most controllers don't like the heavy current loads and won't last long if used to directly control the heating elements. There should be a relay with your oven, if not you will have to find one for it.

The cost for a new digital controller will start somewhere around $100.00.

You should also seriously consider buying a new type 'K' thermocouple as well. I had one with a stainless sheath and exposed tip custom made by Chromalox for about $75.00. You can spend less but many of the cheaper ones will not last long. This one is good for many thousands of heats. This thermocouple is rated to 2500? F.

At the time I bought my thermocouple I could have bought a new controller from them for just under a 'C' note.

By the way where are you located?

-Mike-
Old 10-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Living Legend

ebay item 250036299849

This is what Ed uses for his stuff. It is also what I bought for my salt tanks and heat treat oven.

You will need to also buy a 220V contactor that is energized by 110V to turn your heat on and off.

Thanks to Merle for this info.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!

Tags
forge